Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM of L-14540 DVR F.GOODIER D 157 BDE RFA

Florent

Hello

I just bought today in local sale, the Military Medal of F. GOODIER , L-14540, Driver in D battery, 157th Brigade RFA, (35th Division).

I quiclky found his award published in the London Gazette on 23 February 1918.

Ancestry gave me his complete identity : Frederick Goodier from Stratford London E.

What can I find more about him ?

It is possible to imagine where he won this medal ?

Thanks a lot

Florent

the 157th Bde was originally an Aberdeen raised Brigade I believe so he probably joined in a later reorganisation, perhaps from one of the London locally raised Brigades ..perhaps the 163rd [West Ham] Howitzer Brigade, an original part of the 35th division, broken up in 1916. .. which is in fact probably where the D Bty originated...

.. the war diary may suggest an episode, possibly some months previous to the Gazette listing, when he won his medal .. or there may be a cluster of other 157th Bde men also awarded MM at same date?? [their records may also be worth checking in case they record the original date of MM award..]

You are right : in ancestry.com, there is a document when Goodier enlisted in 1915 and there is a stamp on it, of "163rd WEST HAM BR?G??? ( Brigade I guess) Royal Field Artillery. The stamp is not clear but after your explanation, there is no doubt.

Thank you battiscombe !

Florent

• 3 years later...

Driver F. Goodier was my dad.   He would never talk about the war.  My Mum told me that he was awarded the M.M. for saving his gun during a battle. When he was demobed with no job yo go to and a wife and 4 childred to support he  was forced to pawn his medals in order to feed the family.I.   if any one wants  more information please contact me via the Forum.   I will soon be 94 years old  so please bear with me if I am a bit vague or slow.    Frederick Goodier.

Welcome to the Forum, Frederick.

Your dad was indeed a hero. Saving guns crops up time and time again, but usually an officer gets the credit, so he must have have done something extraordinary. I can confirm what has been said above, that he joined "A" Battery, 163rd Brigade RFA around April 19, 1915 and this became "D" Battery, 157th Brigade RFA on re-organization on May 27, 1916. Florent hasn't visited here in over a month but one hopes that when they do you are able to buy back that MM that truly belongs with your family.

Please feel free to add more information to this thread as a permanent reminder.

Good Luck, David

• 11 months later...

Good evening,

I was was directed to your post by one of my aunts who informed me over the medal you found of my great grandfather Frederick Goodier. I was keen to find out if you still possibly had his medal as we would be greatly interested in returning it to the family as a reminder of his great contribution for us all. 

One of my relatives had recently posted on the post and the much younger and tech savvy children of the family have been enlisted to try and make contact with yourself :)

I hope this message message finds you well and I look very much forward to hearing from you

Kindest regards

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James.   I have just found your message about the MM awarded to Frederick Goodier  your great great grandfather.  He was in fact my Dad!!  ..Are you a long lost member of the Goodier family?  We must be related in some way.    Please let me know and perhaps we can get in touch some other way I.e. email or phone.   My regards Fred Goodier.

Hi  Florent ,  I was wondering  whether you ever got the message I sent regarding the MM awarded to Frederick Goodier?   He was my Dad.   If you are interested in any other details please let me know.   My regards.   Fred Goodier

Hi Frederick

Unfortunately  Florent  according to his profile last visited the Forum in Sept 2016

I have today also sent him a message alerting him to your reply

he should  receive it, next time he visits the forum

Ray

Hi Ray.   Thank you for sending a message to Florent.   If any thing happens I will let you know.By the way I spent my time in the Royal Navy during the 1939-1946  shoot. Up!!!!   My best regards.   Fred.

• 6 years later...
On 24/11/2012 at 20:42, Florent said:

Hello

I just bought today in local sale, the Military Medal of F. GOODIER , L-14540, Driver in D battery, 157th Brigade RFA, (35th Division).

I quiclky found his award published in the London Gazette on 23 February 1918.

Ancestry gave me his complete identity : Frederick Goodier from Stratford London E.

What can I find more about him ?

It is possible to imagine where he won this medal ?

Thanks a lot

Florent

Hi @Florent. My name is Frederick Archer, and Pvt Frederick Goodier was my great, great grandfather. I have only just discovered our relation, and that he served in the Royal Field Artillery. Do you still have the medal? I would love to see a picture. My family tree has proven very elusive but I have recently had some leads, including this one! Thanks.

On 15/08/2017 at 21:38, Guest said:

Good evening,

I was was directed to your post by one of my aunts who informed me over the medal you found of my great grandfather Frederick Goodier. I was keen to find out if you still possibly had his medal as we would be greatly interested in returning it to the family as a reminder of his great contribution for us all. 

One of my relatives had recently posted on the post and the much younger and tech savvy children of the family have been enlisted to try and make contact with yourself http://content.invisioncic.com/r224821/emoticons/default_smile.png

I hope this message message finds you well and I look very much forward to hearing from you

Kindest regards

James

•  

H James, looks like we share a great, great grandfather in common! Did you ever got hold of his war medal?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Fred said:

H James, looks like we share a great, great grandfather in common! Did you ever got hold of his war medal?

Welcome to the GWF

I have edited your post to tag @Florent who remains a member of the GWF You can send them a personal message using the Forum's PM system

simply click on their name and you will see  a dialog box 'message'

As for James the designation 'Guest' means they are no longer a member of the GWF and we hold no details for them

Frederick Goodier's MM Index card is imaged at TNA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6164898  MM schedule no. 142668.

He was with D battery 157th Bde RFA when he won it. The LG of 23 Feb 1918 lists awards for Passchendaele Ridge & early Cambrai Oct-Nov 1917 (Bate & Williamson).

157th Bde RFA were in action at the second battle of Passchendaele: https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/fartillery.php?pid=9747

The war diary is here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353940

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info