Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lochnagar Crater

Paul Reed

A couple of forum members requested some photos of the new entrance to the Lochnagar Crater Memorial site on the Somme.

The following show the new walk ways and fencing - it all looks a little 'bare' at the moment, as I am told that bushes have been planted between the crosses and in a year or so it will all look quite different.

post-4-1093535922.jpg

Thanks Paul

Very interesting. That should help reduce soil erosion.

Perhaps the crossed pickets look more like a throw back to Omaha Beach than the Western Front? B)

Tim

Glad it was of interest, Tim.

It looks like an American Civil War battlefield site to me!

But I will wait until the plants grow - I am told it will be very nice!

I expected much worse, this will be OK.

1st visit, no sign saying don't enter crater, if there was missed it, started walking down, got moving faster, had to hit ground to slow down, popped back up,momentum again, down again, was beat up, skinned, son did not even get a picture! :angry:

I have a rule of thumb with Lochnagar.

I go late in the day and if I see a coach parked up, I retrace my steps and come back another day.

I really try to avoid the pile it high, sell it cheap type of coach travel companies. When the coach pulls up, they all pile out, 10 mins then back to the coach to another site.

By the way, I have some good photos taken at Lochnagar of ploughed fields with their trench and shell markings very visble.

If anyone wants a copy please email me off-forum.

Paul,

Thank you very much for the photos. I can now see what the anti-tank traps look like, but as you said, lets wait until the plants grow.

Peter

Looks good to me. I guess the 'anti-tank' obstacles are to stop fly-tippers and cars being dumped in there. This can only be for the long term good.

Ryan

Having been there a few weeks ago, I can happily say that this is an improvement - not obtrusive at all and will be better when bushes grow.

What I do find disturbing is the trestle table set up on the edge of the crater by a couple of locals to sell artifacts!

What I do find disturbing is the trestle table set up on the edge of the crater by a couple of locals to sell artifacts!

Yes, this isn't appropriate at all. The people concerned have been chased away a few times, but still keep coming back.

Was there in March this year, the grass around the site had been mawn back to the edge of the field, and there were two gentlemen there maintaining the site and varnishing the benches. Looking foreward to visit again next year, as for the bric a brac seller it reminds me of Beaumont Hamel, though one of the green shacks was missing from last year.

Lets hope they do away with them all, and give the area the respect and dignity it deserves. Also noted this year that a number of youngsters were using the road from Mametz to the Dragon as a rally course and extreme caution will have to be taken to prevent future accidents. Safer to park by Flat Iron Cops and walk?

If anyone is interested, Richard Dunning is the guest speaker at the September, (17th) meeting of the Milton Keynes branch of the Western Front Assn.

Please email me if you would like more details.

IanC

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Paul,

Thank you for those photographs, unfortunantly I visited the massive crater a month before the new entrance opened.

-Doughboy

The new look entrance was there in July when I visited( and the souvenir sellers and their table).

The crater is an amazing sight- I couldn't believe it was so deep- even pictures can't do it justice.

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Spike,

Visiting the Lochnager Crater is an unnatural experience, indeed. However, I do not say looking at the crater is the most astonishing, it is feeling the wind across your face and realizing how high you are compared to the deepness of the crater. To get a very large overall view of La Grande Mine, I strongly suggest to stand on top of the bench to the left of the crater.

-Doughboy

post-4-1094147210.jpg