Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victor Norman Erskine Howard-Vincent

mrfrank

I'm researching the officers who are featured on a RMC photo I have dated May 1915 and I'm getting a little confused by this name.

He was gazetted 2nd Lt in the KRRC in June 1915 and from doing a simple internet search he appears to be included both on a war memorial to old Etonians who fell whilst serving with the KRRC and on the Ormesby war memorial in Norfolk but I could not find any record on the CWGC site. However, and again from the London Gazette, VNE Howard-Vincent is restored to the establishment of the KRRC in Feb 1920 so would appear to be alive and well having obviously survived the war. Can anyone shed any light on this individual for me and this apparent discrepancy?

Vincent entered France on 20/7/1915. His MIC says his father applied for his medals 19/10/1922. Address : Sir Francis E Vincent Bart, Ormesby , Norfolk.

The Times Tuesday 24 February 1920.

DEATHS

HOWARD-VINCENT On the 21st Feb., at Cannes, France, of influenza, VICTOR HOWARD-VINCENT, Lieut. K.R.R.C., second son of Sir Francis and Lady Vincent, of Ormesby, Norfolk, aged 23.

If he was still serving should this not be another "in from the cold " case?

This is the Gazette for his restoration to the establishment.

http://www.london-ga...upplements/1519

The reason why he was restored to the establishment on February 4th 1920 is because he had been seconded as an A.D.C. on March 13th 1919.

http://www.london-ga...1265/pages/4292

There would seem to be no doubt that he was still serving in K.R.R.C. at the time of his death. There are no other Gazette notifications concerning him in 1920.

Many thanks for your replies that appear to have solved my original query.

It would appear, on the face of it, that this individual should be commemorated by the CWGC. This throws up another question: where was he buried? I notice that The Times entry states that he passed away in Cannes. However, was the strict policy of non-repatriation of the dead still followed in the immediate years following the cessation of hostilities with regard to those that passed away whilst still serving on the continent?

His case is now in the hands of the "In From The Cold" Project who will be putting this to C.W.G.C. It is, with little doubt, a case of non-commemoration which will hopefully be rectified in due course.

I have seen a register of a cemetery in Cannes where a large number of ex-pats are buried. He is not included.

It is possible that he was on leave and visiting Cannes so the protocol of non-repatriation would not necessarily have applied - it was 1920 after all.

He may have been brought back to Ormesby, Norfolk for burial, but this will have to be checked. His mother the dowager Lady Margaret Louisa Vincent died 25.4.1957 and her funeral took place at St. Margaret's Church, Ormesby. His father Sir Francis Erskine Vincent bart died in Brussels in 1935 his death notice, also in The Times, gave no funeral arrangements, which may have given a clue to the family's customary burial place.

Would any forum pals near St. Margaret's, Ormesby care to go and have a look, please?