Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll Abbreviation

Terry Denham

This not a query about an abbreviation on the MICs but on the Medal Roll itself.

Does anybody know what the three letters 'HOC' mean?

These are hand written next to some men's names on the roll either as 'HOC' or as 'H/O/C'.

The roll concerned is that for the Chinese Labour Corps and the abbreviations occur next to names that do not have a hand written 'tick' by them.

A wild stab in the dark... maybe (probably) completely off-tack:

HOC - Hostilities Only, Chinese. (? Given the explicit racial classifications of the age.)

Perhaps they had been sent home after the war and, given the no doubt difficult task of confirming entitlement and delivery to Chinese peasant civilians who had left the CLC, the Roll was not ticked since their medals had not been delivered/were considered undeliverable.

Richard

Richard

Thanks. Nice try but I don't think so.

Returned medals are recorded differently and don't correspond to these men.

Also, if Ian has seen it in other rolls, it must have some meaning not specific to one unit.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Glad to see that it was not me just being thick. Obviously it is not that well known amongst Pals either!

I have to say that Jock's looks possible.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Could it be something like 'held on charge' i.e. retained by the medal office for some reason ??

Jock

JB - Checked with someone 'at work' today - you are correct inasmuch that it is the acronym used today.

Ian

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I thought I'd bring this one back up, as I have an abbreviation that I have no idea of the meaning.

It is on the medal roll for a Royal Engineer for his BWM & Victory medal roll entry:

OHS or ONS

He transferred inot the RE, and this abreviation is on the line that notes his first regiment.

For the soldier next down on the list, in the same column, and also by the first regiments served, the annotation AW appears.

Any ideas on what this notation refers to?

With thanks

doogal

(he survived the war unscathed)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The following are scans of the medal rolls. The second is Royal Engineers, with each soldier having served in a previous regiment (or more). Thsi first one is for the West Riding Regiment. Note that for both rolls, they have the "O" in common.

I assume the markings have been put ext to the regiment/unit details that would have been put on the medals, each time this being the first unit served with.

Does anyone know what the "O" stands for - or what the "OHS" or "OW" stand for?

(If indeed its says AW and OHS)

With thanks for any help on this one, it has stumped me completely.

regards

doogal

post-1634-1121716693.jpg

Edited by doogal

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I thought I'd bringthis one to the top once more - it seems that this is one that the Pals have not quite yet managed to get to grips with.

Can anyone shed any light on these handwritten markings - is there overall logic that is deciperable?

"O" seems the most common, but I've noticed X crops up too.

Any takers??

regards

doogal