Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st BATTALION THE ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT

vinnie

Thanks, I'm only a novice when it comes to army life so I'm not sure what to look for or where. I'm interested in Patrick French 9122 from Wexford who was in that regiment.

There was only one 'French' Wexford casualty, perhaps they are related?

FRENCH, ROBERT JAMES. Rank: Petty Officer, 1st Class. Regiment or Service: Royal Navy. H. M. S. Snaefell. Age at Death: 48. Date of Death: 02-November-1918. Service No: 125480. Supplementary information; Husband of the late Catherine French. From and article in the Enniscorthy Guardian; Tagoat Naval mans death. Mr Robert French, R. N. recently died in a London hospital, as a result of an operation. He was in the Navy, and at one time acted as gunner instructor at Rosslare Battery. Shortly after the outbreak of the war he was called upon to serve on board one of his Majesty’s cruisers and the scene of his operations was generally round the west coast of Scotland. He contracted a cold which necessitated an operation in the throat and he died on the 2nd November.

He was interred with full naval honours in St Patricks Catholic Cemetery, Leyton. He was son-in-law of Mr Stephen Kinsella, Ballyell, Tagoat, and leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss. Mr French during the time of his residence at Rosslare was extremely popular with all classes of the community, but especially amongst the large number of Navy Reserve men who came there from various parts of Ireland to do their months drill. R. I. P. Grave or Memorial Reference: XI. A. 5. 37. Leytonstone ( St Patricks ) Roman Catholic Cemetery. UK.

My man was from Boolacreen Ferns, he was the stepson of John Reilly. His stepbrother John Reilly 14102 R G A was killed in 1916.

Ta, I have done a bit of research on John, It's Patrick French I'm looking at now. He joined the Free State Army in 1922.

Wexford War dead? Y'all have anything on James Berry and/or Michael Goggin(s)?

There you go

BERRY, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 37. Date of Death: 09-July-1918. Service No: 7567. Supplementary information; Husband of Katie Berry of Mary's Lane, Gibson St, Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: C. 128. Cemetery: Wexford ( St Ibar's ) Cemetery. There is a photograph of his headstone included.

GOGGIN/GOGGINS, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: "C" Coy. 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 42. Date of Death: 24-May-1915. Service No: 4272. Born in Ballybricken, Co Waterford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick Goggins of Mary's Lane, Wexford and the late Catherine Goggins; husband of Elizabeth Goggins of Wetherheld's Court, Bride St, Wexford. A snippet from the People Newspaper; A Wexford soldier, Private M Goggin, Watery Lane, who served with the Royal Irish Regiment, is reported missing since 26th of May last. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 33. Memorial: Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

There you go

BERRY, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 37. Date of Death: 09-July-1918. Service No: 7567. Supplementary information; Husband of Katie Berry of Mary's Lane, Gibson St, Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: C. 128. Cemetery: Wexford ( St Ibar's ) Cemetery. There is a photograph of his headstone included.

GOGGIN/GOGGINS, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: "C" Coy. 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 42. Date of Death: 24-May-1915. Service No: 4272. Born in Ballybricken, Co Waterford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick Goggins of Mary's Lane, Wexford and the late Catherine Goggins; husband of Elizabeth Goggins of Wetherheld's Court, Bride St, Wexford. A snippet from the People Newspaper; A Wexford soldier, Private M Goggin, Watery Lane, who served with the Royal Irish Regiment, is reported missing since 26th of May last. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 33. Memorial: Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

Thank you for that Tom! As you can see from my signature thingy I had most of that. James was a POW who was repatriated just before he died and Michael was killed on the same day and same place as J Condon the wars youngest (?) fatality. I have visited Ypres twice and only discovered recently that another relative in the Connaughts is on there too!