The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Women casualties

Rob Chester

Is there a casualty list for women who died in the War as a result of either enemy action or war related accident such as factory explosions? There doesn't seem to be any way on the CWGC site to differentiate between men and women.

Is there a casualty list for women who died in the War as a result of either enemy action or war related accident such as factory explosions? There doesn't seem to be any way on the CWGC site to differentiate between men and women.

Rob, there isn't one. The closest you can get is the women's names listed on the panels in York Minster. I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties and there are quite a few (well hundreds' actually) who aren't listed on the panels. Two things to bear in mind. VAD's and some others who did not see overseas service but died during the war are mostly ignored by the CWGC. The other thing is where to draw the line. What about civilian nurses who served in military hospitals and hospital auxiliaries. I am afraid that one will never get to an exact figure.

I don't think there can be many women on CWGC who can be mistaken for men, as their service/corps will be stated and will be one only populated by women. There are two French Red Cross casualties that could perhaps be women, but are in fact men - I'm sure someone will now point out the all the exceptions :thumbsup:

Sue

I don't think there can be many women on CWGC who can be mistaken for men, as their service/corps will be stated and will be one only populated by women. There are two French Red Cross casualties that could perhaps be women, but are in fact men - I'm sure someone will now point out the all the exceptions :thumbsup:

Sue

When I enquired of the CWGC many years ago the main uncertainty was the Canadian Army Medical Corps where, if no forenames were passed to them, and no details such as "daughter of", it was unknown to them if she was male or female. As to pointing out "all of the exceptions" - not me. I have better things to do.

As to pointing out "all of the exceptions" - not me. I have better things to do.

Of course. It was a throw away line and I wasn't expecting an answer - could that be called a rhetorical statement? (Answer not required).

Jim are you including Stewardesses killed in the Mercantile Marine? I have a few.

Jim are you including Stewardesses killed in the Mercantile Marine? I have a few.

There are 56 names on the York Minster panel relating to Mercantile Marine stewardesses.

• 5 months later...

Rob, there isn't one. The closest you can get is the women's names listed on the panels in York Minster. I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties and there are quite a few (well hundreds' actually) who aren't listed on the panels. Two things to bear in mind. VAD's and some others who did not see overseas service but died during the war are mostly ignored by the CWGC. The other thing is where to draw the line. What about civilian nurses who served in military hospitals and hospital auxiliaries. I am afraid that one will never get to an exact figure.

Rob I have a list of (I think) all the women who have CWGC graves. If of interest I could email you a copy. Viv