Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black and amber shoulder flash - which British unit(s)?

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Which unit(s) used such a flash, to help me narrow down some options? I am hoping for some connection to the 18th, 37th or 63rd Divisions but all choices would be welcomed?

Many thanks

IIRC 7 Buffs in 18 Div used a buff over black triangle, point down. I'm intrigued as to what prompts the question.

IIRC 7 Buffs in 18 Div used a buff over black triangle, point down. I'm intrigued as to what prompts the question.

Purely an attempt to ID what battalion of the Bedfordshires someone served in based on the description of the shoulder badge worn. From places mentioned & being on the Ancre in November 1916, it narrows it down to three possible battalions, so I was hoping the flash would contrinute to some kind of decision! 7 Beds were in 18 Div. & one of the possibilities, but the only insignia I had come across so far was the ATN badge whch did not really fit the bill of course ...

Have you come across a visual example on the web that you can point me towards?

Hi Steve

I don't have a reference other than its being listed in Waring's pamphlet. Also, I did once own a tunic to an officer in this battalion and it had that sign. I think however that the buff colour is probably regimental rather than divisional or brigade. I was wondering if maybe amber had got confused with buff in someone's description, but from what you say that now seems unlikely. I'm afraid that's as far as I can go. Hopefully someone else can help.

Regards, W.

Thanks Wainfleet and Mike.

I have also just come across a newspaper article from 1919 which refers to the Mayoress tying a black and amber ribbon to the tip of the regimental flag during a ceremony. The black and amber had been associated to the regiment in centuries past, but mention of it seems to disappear by the 18th century (in favour of a gold / yellow), so I had assumed it related to a more modern formation such as a division. Maybe I was wrong and it still prevailed even intot he 20th century. :unsure:

Hmmmn ...