Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Bar

Fedelmar

Can anyone ID these two medals for me please?

post-11785-0-17609200-1353469445_thumb.j

Have you got the rest of the photo Sandra? What era?

Looks like an MC and perhaps 1937 Coronation Medal or Special Constabulary Medal.

Rgds

Tim

Thanks Tim ... http://www.flickr.co...157632054659040

The other two things I want a bit of advice on is the colour patch and what the two large square patches represent.

goodie ta :)

They are a Military Cross and a British War Medal. Which dates this picture fairly closely to the 1919 period before the Inter Allied Victory Medal was instituted. Troops serving in the North Russia Force received instructions to put up ribbons of the new medal if entitled.

Thanks Phil.

That was our initial thoughts but the centre looked to be too dark for the yellow. As it's AIF we thought that the medals weren't issued till after they RTA and were discharged.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I think your right. This man looks like a recent arrival home to me and probably too early to have a BWM ribbon. Might it be some foreign award?

He is an AIF Lieutenant sporting an MC and a wound stripe. I'm unsure about the colour patch, but it does seems fairly long and a lighter over darker colour (maybe 20th Bn). I think he is wearing the large patch on both sleeves. This from the AWM:

Military Order 238, of 8 June 1918 states that: 'No officer, warrant officer, non-commissioned officer or man who is a patient of a military hospital ... undergoing medical treatment or on leave from such hospital, home or camp will be permitted to enter any hotel or other licensed premises for the purpose of consuming intoxicating liquor. On admission to hospital, every ... man will be issued with two pairs of blue armbands - one pair for attachment to his tunic and one pair for attachment to his great coat. These bands will be worn one on each arm, midway between the elbow and the point of the shoulder. They are to be sewn on or otherwise affixed so as not to be easily removable.

Rgds

Tim

It is a BWM. The ribbons were issued separately from Victory Medals in the first instance with VM ribbons following from the second half of 1919 on. After all, the war did not 'end' until July 1919. The gold in the middle can look pale on contemporary photographs.

Cheers Phil,

You may be right, however I have never seen a photo of an AIF member wearing one. Other photos anyone is able to dig up would be interesting.

Rgds

TIm D

thanks heaps you two ... the lady in the middle is wearing the RTA badge and was a nurse in the AMC in Rabaul and was discharged there at her own request 12th Sept 1918. The Newland family were from NSW and Vic.

Working my way through the patches of light over dark:

8th Bn Vic white over red retangle.

12 Bn Tas SA WA white over light blue retangle.

16th Bn WA SA white over dark blue rectangle.

36th Bn NSW white over green oval.

40th Bn Tas white over red oval.

44th Bn WA white over light blue oval.

20th Bn NSW white over green diamond.

24th Bn Vic white over red diamond.

28th Bn WA white over light blue diamond.

48th Bn SA WA white over dark blue circle.

52nd Bn SA WA white over light blue circle.

The three Bn's from NSW & Vic are:

8th Bn Vic rectangle 33 MC's 9 foreign awards.

20th Bn NSW diamond no award details at AWM.

36th Bn NSW oval 11 MC's and was disbanded about April 1918.

As the large patch is blue (I assume light blue) we have a starting place for the matching of the unit patch against.

So now we have the medal ID done, the large patch done, we just have to work out what his unit was and who the heck he is :)

The other consideration is that the lady on the left could be his girlfriend, fiance or wife and that this is why he is holding her fur.

The lady in the middle was struck of strength with the AMC in Rabual September 1918.

Bright Blessings

Sandra.

Hi Sandra,

I couldn't be sure about the second ribbon. It probably is a BWM, the first is certainly the MC. With regard to the colour patcch. Whether it is a diamond or a circle I am not sure, but I think it is too deep for the 3rd Division oval, but I could well be wrong. IMO he is either 20th, 24th or 28th Battalion, or 52nd Bn. My guess he is either 28 Bn or 52Bn and my reason for saying this is the lower colour is pale, the light blue worn by those Bns. I think it is too pale for the red or green of the 20th and 24th, but others with more experience may be able to help.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Sandra,

I have been looking at a lot of other photos and suspect he has just gotten off the boat. There is a bit of a crowd in the background.

Is it possible its Woolloomooloo? The buildings in the back look like wharf buildings or a railway station and there seems to be a gantry of sorts (loading/unloading cargo) under the structure to the right. There are also chimneys suggesting its an industrial area.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks Chris and Tim ... I am inclined to think it is white over blue :)

Tim ... I thought it was a wharf or a train station ... The lady in the middle was born in Victoria and ended up in Mosman NSW

Hi Sandra,

I have been going through all the MC awards to the 20th Bn.

I don't think he would be our man, but interestingly Lt Leslie Kenneth Browning MC & Bar went away with the AN&MEF as a Pte, went OS as a Sgt in 1915 and joined the 20th in December 1916 after officer training in the UK. He was serving in the UK in 1918/1919 and didn't return home until 1920. Possible he knew the lady as well.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks Tim ... I thought initially it was the 28th.

I have checked the 36th but did not find anything there that looked like ti could be him.

Bright Blessings

Sandra