Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Harold Fownes SOMERVILLE, DSO

Khaki

Born 25th May 1881, formerly Rifle Brigade (WW1) later DCLI. Anybody know personal details, eg place of birth date and place of death/burial, family etc.

Thanks

khaki

Extract Part 2 of the Distinguished Service Order - page 344:

SOMMERVILLE, H.F. (D.S.O. L.G.1.1.17)

b.25.5.1881.

2nd Lt.Rifle Brigade 11.8.00,

Lt. 5.11.01.

Capt.8.7.08

Major 1.9.15.

The 1909 Army Graduation List of Officers of the British Army page 912 confirms dates as correct to 8.7.08.

Extract War Services of Officers of The Army page 1536:

SOMERVILLE H.F. (Maj.Rif Brig)

1914-19- empld as (1) Musk.Adviser G.H.Q. 22.May17 to 2 Jan.18. (2) Comdt.Musk. & Reinf Camp 5th Army 3.Jan.18 to 14 April 18;

and (3) Comd't Res.Army Musk. Camp from 15 April 18.

France and Belgium 4.Sep to 26 Oct 14 and 22 May 17 to 11 Nov 18.

Despatches Lond.Gaz. 25 Jan 17, and 21 Dec 17.

Frnech Silver-gilt medal of Honour with swords. 1914 Star D.S.O.

Musk. = Musketry

Extract page 689 Honour the Officers has him listed with D.S.O for DSER as L.G. 24.1.17 - page 927.

In the August 1915 Army List page 1555 he is listed Capt.SOMERVILLE H.F. with 3rd Bn.Rifle Brigade.

If I find anything else here I will add it shortly.

Philip

Extract Debretts 1919 page 1766:

SOMERVILLE Lieut.-Col Harold Fownes D.S.O.,

Son of Arthur Fownes SOMERVILLE of Dinder House, Somerset.

Born 1881. ed. at Haileybury is Major Rifle Brig., and Comdt.of a Musketry Camp with ranl of Lieut-Col.:

married 1907 Vera Gwendoline BROADMEAD of Enmore, Bridgewater,cr D.S.O. Army and Navy Club.

He has a brother born 1882 SOMERVILLE Com. James Fownes D.S.O. R.N. who served in Dardanelles 1911-16 as Fleet Wireless Officer (Despatches DSO 1916) etc.

SOMERVILLE, Harold Fownes.

Born 25th May 1881, educated Sandhurst.

2nd Lieut. 5/11/01, Captain 8/7/08, Major 1/9/15, Acting Lt.-Col. 1918.

3rd Rifle Brigade 1900 - 1910, Instructor School of Musketry 1910 - 1914, 3rd Rifle Brigade 1914, Instructor School of Musketry Hythe & Commandant School of Musketry, Ireland 1915 - 1916.

GSO 3 Irish Command 1916 - 1917, Chief Instructor School of Musketry, Ireland 1919 - 1920, Adjutant 4th (TA) Bn S.L.I. 1920 - 1923, Transferred DCLI 1923.

D.S.O. 1917, 1914 star, BWM, VM; Despatches (2) FD- Medaille d'Honneur (F).

Died Haslemere 19/3/46.

Andy

Rifle Brigade Chronicle 1946.

Lieut. - Colonel H.F. Somerville, D.S.O.

Lieut. - Colonel Harold Fownes Somerville was the son of the late Arthur Fownes Somerville, of Dindir House, Wells, Somerset. He was born on 25th May, 1881. After passing through the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, he was gazetted to the Regiment on 11th August, 1900.He served with the 3rd Battalion until 1910, when he became assistant instructor at the School of Musketry, Hythe. After finishing his tour of duty at the School he returned to the 3rd Battalion and proceeded with it to Flanders in 1914.

He was awarded the D.S.O. in the London Gazette dated 24th November, 1917, the French Medaille d'Honneur in 1920, and was mentioned in despatches three times.

After the war he became Adjutant to the 4th (T.A.) Battalion, The Somerset Light Infantry, and in 1923, as a result of the reduction of the 3rd & 4th Bns The Rifle Brigade, was transferred to the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, and eventually retired in 1928.

He died on 19th March, 1946, at Haslemere.

Andy

Hello Philip and Andy,

Many thanks for your searches and prompt replies, very interesting material, I did not recognise the French medal but imagine that it is the Croix de Guerre (swords mentioned). If he died in Haselmere(1946) is there any reference to his burial location?

thanks again

khaki

Khaki,

Sorry no mention of where he is buried, however maybe Haslemere council could help you if he is buried locally.

Interestingly his brother became Admiral of the Fleet, Sir James Fownes Somerville in 1945, he was commander of Force H 1940-42 and died 19th March 1949.

Andy

It should be Dinder House, Dinder, Wells - not Dindir (I've researched one Gilbert Victor Drew, whose family were in service at Dinder House, Drew's father was the Somerville's coachman)

• 2 weeks later...

It should be Dinder House, Dinder, Wells - not Dindir (I've researched one Gilbert Victor Drew, whose family were in service at Dinder House, Drew's father was the Somerville's coachman)

Thanks David,

I had a look at Dinder House, quite a place,

khaki

Family seem to have been quite interesting too. Extensive interests in Tasmania (and elsewhere in Australia and NZ as I recall)

Family seem to have been quite interesting too. Extensive interests in Tasmania (and elsewhere in Australia and NZ as I recall)

One would think that there would be a photograph of him considering his achievements and those of his brother, but 'oh well'

khaki

• 1 year later...

Is this thread still live? HFS was my grandfather and I have further information if it is wanted.

MF

Hello MF,

Very much alive, I had been reading about him and his soldiering in France and his MID by General French for his contribution in Dublin during Easter 1916. As I often do with people I read about, I searched for a photo. but apart from those of his brother I found nothing. I would very much appreciate any additional material especially any photographs.

regards

khaki

Pictures I have, but I shall need some advice on reducing them to 250KB from 3Mb whilst retaining some visible use.

Not so far mentioned is that HFS was badly wounded during 1st Ypres. When he recovered he was posted as Commandant to the Musketry School at Dollymount, Dublin. He was the senior Officer on duty on Easter Monday 1916 when the Irish Rising broke out. Easter Monday was the day of the Faireyhouse races, where most of the High Command were to be found. When news reached HFS of the Rising, he marched from Dollymount to Dublin with such manpower as he could raise and encountered the Fenians first at Amiens St Station where, by a cunning move, he managed to trap the rebels in the subway under the platforms by chasing them in and closing the steel gates. He then moved on to Liberty Hall, the Trades Union headquarters, which he cleared. By this point, the off-duty Military had got themselves together and his responsibilities were taken on at a higher level. It was for this action HFS received the DSO. Interestingly, this was the first DSO to be won within the borders of the UK.

He was indeed transferred to the DCLI, and hated it. The Rifle Brigade was the smartest regiment in the army (unless it was the Royal Scots Fusiliers, my Father's regt.) and the DCLI was, well, provincial.

He was a devoted family man having three girls (the eldest my Mother) and finally a son, Mark, my Uncle & Godfather, killed in action in 1941. http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/aviators/somerville.htm

He and my grandmother lived at The Orchard, College Hill, Haslemere. He was a stalwart of the Haslemere Players, especially the annual pantomime. He was, as am I, an ardent Bridge player. Even now I have in my desk an unopened pack of cards, (Pneumatic Series A by Thomas de la Rue, by appointment to H M the King) that was in his campaign chest, which lay unopened for perhaps 50 yrs in the stables at Dinder House after being shipped back from India well before WWII

HFS died suddenly and unexpectedly in Haslemere Hospital on 19 March 1946, aged 64. He was cremated and his ashes scattered at Brookwood Cemetery

MF

Thanks MF for the very interesting biography, I had not read so much detail before especially with regard to his actions in Dublin, 'closing the subway gates' incredible. I will look forward to any images that you can manage, but as I am terrible with images being posted I will defer to other members who are very good at it for expert advice.

thanks again

khaki

• Admin

Hello MF

I also thank you for the details story of your grandfather's story.

The are several options for resizing images, one is to post them in hte Gallery where they will be automatically resized and you can post a link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery

THis one is quite simple to use https://pixlr.com/editor/ Just select Image/Image Size and reduce it to 1000 pixels wide and save it. That should reduce it down enough.

Or some other ideas here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204710&hl=resize#entry2012379

Lastly, use a hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket and link from that.

Glen

Hello MF

Very interesting photo's many thanks, excellent idea putting them into a gallery, look forward to more images,

regards

khaki

Interesting to see that photo of Drew - a relative turned up in this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156726&hl=%2Bgilbert+%2Bdrew - I hope they might still be following so I've tried to point over to here (there's a link to the full, rather sad, story of Gilbert Drew in that thread too).

I hadn't realised the family were linked to the PRO too (I work at its successor, The National Archives).

Hello MF,

Your building a great pictorial profile and biography, very nice to see the medal group, do you have any photo's of him in khaki field uniform ?

khaki

Nothing of HFS from the Great War, but I have put up a picture of H Company of 3rd Btn. Rifle Brigade at Meerut in India in 1904 -

MF

Hello MF,

Your building a great pictorial profile and biography, very nice to see the medal group, do you have any photo's of him in khaki field uniform ?

khaki

khaki,

All this great information and wonderful photos from M.F., it must be like Christmas !

Regards,

LF