Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scratch 1/6 bust Lt. Col. Sir George McCrae - Somme

cfraser

Here he is essentially done. Just need to paint his post and attach him to a named base.

Colin

post-85533-0-99286900-1355860425_thumb.j

post-85533-0-60252100-1355860433_thumb.j

I want one!

Fantastic finish.

Jonathan

Belated thanks for the comments and the laughs!

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Final photos showing his base.

Colin

post-85533-0-37860900-1357787008_thumb.j

post-85533-0-26470500-1357787019_thumb.j

post-85533-0-95049400-1357787040_thumb.j

post-85533-0-06990600-1357787060_thumb.j

Colin,

Excellent work!

You'll note from my signature that my family has a connection with 16 RS (and hence Lt Col Sir George McCrae).

Roxy

Colin,

That's unreal. You could sell them and make a fortune. You would have members lining up for these. The only thing I could add is that it would look better if it was sitting in my house and not yours. :w00t:

The artistic talent of this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Cheers Andy.

Colin, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now - absolutely amazing talent. I was mesmerized with the photos from beginning to end and agree with Andy when he said you could have members lining up for these - I would be one of the first, and it would look much better in my house rather than his.

Thank you for giving such an insight into your superb talent which I have found a humbling experience.

Anne

Colin,

Excellent work!

You'll note from my signature that my family has a connection with 16 RS (and hence Lt Col Sir George McCrae).

Roxy

Wow - losing 2X family members in the same battalion the same day. That's quite the connection. Glad you and others like the model. I am an amateur but its a fun and satisfying hobby to pursue. Upcoming ideas include Tolkien and his friends, some of the war poets, perhaps some Canadians like Currie and Talbot Papineau, and my Great uncles if i can find a picture of either of them.

Cheers

Colin

What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is excellent andI agree, what a magnificent talent you have. If you are considering doing commissions approximately what price would you charge for something similar starting from scratch?

BTW, thanks for sharing this with us.

Ivor

Thanks for the interest. I am not doing commissions currently but may when I retire. Here's my previous piece for interest (not WWI) - its a portrait of Canadian general Romeo Dallaire who commanded the UN forces in Rwanda during the genocide in 1994.

Cheers

Colin

post-85533-0-94990200-1358001661_thumb.j

Edited by cfraser

Colin,

That's fantastic. You will have to let us know when you retire, as I want one as well. Your retirement is going to be quite busy.

How about you start commissioning these now, as they could pay for the war memorial you have just bought. This way your wife would not have one up on you. :thumbsup:

Cheers Andy.

• 3 months later...
Guest maroon66

Just joined this forum, colin I must say your work is excellent im a big heart of midlothian fan and also very interested in both world wars.im really fascinated in the hearts going to war and I spend days on the Internet trying to get photographs of hearts, im so glad ive found photos of your great masterpiece. Keep up the good work

Hi Maroon66 - Welcome aboard! i am sure you will have read Jack Alexander's fine book on the battalion. Jack assisted me with some questions I had on this piece as he is a member of this forum. Thanks for the compliment - much appreciated.

Colin