Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medals

captain barker

I would like to know if the parents of a soldier asked for the medals of there dead sons would these show up in the soldiers service records. I have looked at some soldiers service records that show medals were received but my great uncles service papers don't show this . How do you find out if a soldier's medals were ever asked for and received?

Hi KL

I don't think medals were applied for unless you were an officer. They were just sent out to O.Rs or their NOKs.

What does your uncle's mic say in relation to the medals?

To add

What was his name and number?

• Admin

But they were sent to the last known address the Army had so if a soldier or his next of kin moved and didn't update the Army, the medals would be returned. If not claimed after 10 years they'd be broken up.

private robert barker 55605 2/5th west yorkshire regiment

gunner harold barker 25428 r.f.a.

private cyril barker 21879 koyli

private walter barker 14949 koyli

The MIC often shows if they were returned for storage and destruction etc

Cyril's medals were forfeited for desertion, nothing mentioned on the other cards.

• 5 months later...

only cyril's 1914-15 star was forfeited, he went on to fight and was gassed and wounded after 1917

As stated here the campaign medals for ORs were sent out automatically. You could look up the original Medal Roll records in the Document series WO329 at the National Archives as that will often have an entry showing if medals were returned to the Army. Here are the references for the British War and Victory Medals for your soldiers,which will need to be looked up on site at Kew:

Robert. WO329/909 page 3017.

Harold. WO329/65 page 8490.

Cyril. WO329/1468 page 4165, and,

Walter. WO329/1457 page 780.

Would the records at Kew show an address?

Steve

Sometimes a MIC has an address (though usually an Officer !)but I have yet to see one on a Medal Roll. Service record,if surviving,often shows the actual cards detailing the issue of the medals, to whom and where sent.The cards are then supposed to be completed acknowledging receipt of the medal and sent back to the supplying Army District.