Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify badge

sutton-in-craven

Hi, a friend of mine has requested for information on her Grandfather's WW1 silver badge.

1. Does anybody recognise what this badge is?
  2. The letters U.M in the middle with the 4 dots at either side. Could this mean United Methodist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, regards Andrew

post-47732-0-11371200-1353055741_thumb.j

post-47732-0-00099100-1353055749_thumb.j

Hi Andrew,

This appears to be an Identity Bracelet/Disc. U.M. may stand for United Methodist? or similar. The hallmark is for Birmingham 1918.

Regards, Robert

Privately-made, one would assume. Can't see hallmarked silver i/d tags being issued!

Hi Robert, wow you were quick off the mark! Actually this particular recipient was from Cowling. His grandaughter wonders if U.M. stood for United Methodist (old Bar Chapel, Cowling).

I'm really not sure what sort of badge it is, but yes it may well be an identity bracelet of some sort.

To me the U.M. in the middle looks to be a different font to the rest of the lettering. Is it possible the U.M. was added sometime afterwards?

Hi Andrew,

As Stephen says this would have been a private purchase rather than an official issue ID. These were normally purchased by officers rather than o/r's. The U.M. would have been engaved at the same time as the remainder of the inscription--I think that it was mandatory to have your religion included to make it easier for making arrangements following death just in case a man's religion required special conditions--I assume? Nearly all, if not all, the ID bracelets and Dog Tags which I have seen do include these details, usually 'C of E'.

Robert

Such privately commissioned bracelets were very common once the scale of casualties became apparent. Although it is true that precious metals tended to be afforded more by the officers, many of the middle classes were volunteers as 'other ranks' in the early part of the war and family would sometimes club together to buy such ID bracelets almost as a good luck and family farewell gift.

Probably obvious to all, but the original wrist chain attachment holes have worn/broken through and have been replaced by punching a nail through.

May have been worn (later) around the neck or on equipment straps.

khaki

Thanks very much for the responses everyone. So a privately commissioned ID bracelet it appears to be with the initials UM standing for United Methodist (his chosen religion in case of death)

A good point being that such ID bracelets were perhaps a good luck and family farewell gift.

Also a pertinent point by Khaki about "the original wrist chain attachment holes have worn/broken through and have been replaced by punching a nail through. May have been worn (later) around the neck or on equipment straps". Interestingly enough, the nails seem to have been punched through from the reverse, rather than from the front straight into say, equipment straps!

Harold Binns entitled to the British War and Victory medals according to his MIC.

Spot on rjaydee :D,I also have a photo of Harold Binns Great War medal pair + cap badge (below)

post-47732-0-07459900-1353148462_thumb.j

The 1918 hallmark is also consistent with the unit identified, 41st Bn MGC, not formed until 1918.

Do you know when Harold Binns joined the MGC. ? I would be interested to know which Company he might have been with before the creation of the 41st Bn in March 1918.

Do you know when Harold Binns joined the MGC. ? I would be interested to know which Company he might have been with before the creation of the 41st Bn in March 1918.

Hi Julian, I've asked Harold Binn's granddaughter what date he joined the MGC, but she doesn not have that information I'm afraid. She did send me this WW1 picture of Harold & his wife taken in 1918.

post-47732-0-75448800-1354235027_thumb.j