Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Christmas Tin, 1915 Christmas Pencil?

rhimsl

I recently purchased a nice trio from a Cpl. Parkinson of the Royal Engineers which also included a 1914 Princess Mary Christmas Tin, a photo of him and inside the tin was this 1915 card from Princess Mary and this trench art pencil holder. I thought this was just a trench art piece (and still may be) until I noticed the Crowned "M" (Princess Mary) insignia is stamped on the pencil holder (shell case). The same Crowned "M" insignia that is on the cover of the 1915 Card from Princess Mary. My question is does anyone know if these were items handed out at Christmas in 1915 just as the Tins were in 1914? Or does this card belong to something else and the pencil holder (shell casing) is just a piece of unusual trench art? I hope I made my self clear?? You can see the attached photos. I'll thank anyone in advance for their help, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Robert

post-23-1093452905.jpg

Forstly you need to resize your images to 500 x 500 will look a lot better as far as I am aware the Pencil bullet came in the tins and the bullet haed bit is sterling silver.

Somewhere out there in cyberspace, is a website that gives details of the contents of the Princess Mary Xmas tin. Sadly, I can't remember the address, so here's an overview.

The Xmas tin had different contents dependant on who was to recieve them. Smokers got Tobacco and ciggys. Non smokers got chocolate or a writing set (that's where your pencil comes from). Indian troops got spices, etc. Not all the tins were distributed by Xmas 1914. The ones that were sent out in 1915 onwards got a different Greetings card (like the one you have). I expect that someone will list that website addy.

The pencil has a Sterling Silver "Bullet",it is the scarcest item to find in/with these boxes as regardless of wether a Smoker,or Chocaholic,or the box was sent home for NoK to preserve,nearly always the Pencil was retained as it was dead handy!as it slipped into the pocket & the Cap protected the lead.

I picked up one of these boxes a few years ago with the card the tissue including the cardboard holder for the bullet pencil. The pencil itself smells like a new pencil when you take it out of the bullet...try it.

Regards.

Tom

Harry,

Thanks for the info. I finally got lucky on this one!

The pencil has a Sterling Silver "Bullet",it is the scarcest item to find
I was familier with the the Christmas Tins and some of the contents but hadn't heard there was a pencil included.

Thanks again,

Robert