Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nine Brave Men Memorial - Damage

serreroad

Does anyone know the best department/people to approach re reporting damage to the Nine Brave Men Memorial (Somme), and more to the point, getting it fixed? Sometime between Wednesday and Friday last week the wall of the monument was smashed by a large agricultural vehicle. Big tractor tyre-tracks were clearly visible in the surrounding grass. I'm sure it wasn't intentional - indeed the culprit may not even have been aware that he'd hit anything, as it's only a couple of bricks high. A lot of the Somme farmers were doing night shifts last week while the weather held - ploughing, harvesting and re-seeding, so it may even have happened in the pitch dark?

I don't believe the monument is looked after by the CWGC? I know that the last renovation works were carried out by the RE, but I don't know which section or how to approach them. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am very sorry to hear about this - it is one of my favourites on the battlefield. I will speak to friends at the CWGC this morning and see what can be done. If they cannot help then I know people within the RE who would be interested in making good this damage. I'll post an update when I have some news.

Jeremy

Mike - I am mid-discussion with the CWGC. Have you a photo of the damage that you can send me? Or can someone who lives out on the Somme send me one? They need to assess the damage and likely repair cost.

Thanks

JB

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. If you could email me one too that would be great as I can then pass it on to the CWGC.

cheers

Thanks Ken - what a dreadful mess.

I am speaking with the relevant bodies this week in the aim of getting it resolved asap. Will post updates as I have them.

JB

The contact adress at Chatham is:

Headqurters Royal Engineers

Raveling Building

Brompton Barracks

Chatham

Kent

ME4 4UG

Send a copy of the photo's with theinformation.

The village mayor should also be contacted. You can bet your bottoms dollar that some of the locals know who was involved..

Incidentally, it was the now defunct Junior Leaders Regiment RE that renovated the memorial.

TR

Might it be possible that the salon de coiffure immediately beside the memorial could have some information ? The farm just west on the D73 might be worth enquiring at.

Tom

"Might it be possible that the salon de coiffure immediately beside the memorial could have some information ?"

Depends what sort of time it happened I suppose? As I said above, there was a lot of late might gathering, ploughing and re-seeding going on, so if it happened at 9 or 10pm there was probably no-one to witness the event.

For the record, I have never seen so much casual destruction as I saw on the Somme this November. MANY of the green aluminium CWGC signs had been caught by machinery and mangled or completely ripped off their posts. Farm machinery getting bigger and harder to manoeuvre around tight corners, or maybe a contractor or two unable to properly judge distances?! Or maybe Super-U had a special 5 for 1 offer on Pastis? :P Seriously though, do the CWGC make any attempt to seek recompense from the landowners concerned, or do they just cough up?

I have heard from my friend who spoke with the Mayor of Bazentin earlier today. Apparently the damage was done last Monday by a contractor. The contractor has been contacted and the matter reported to the police. As it stands the Mayor is waiting for insurance details from the contractor and will then appoint someone to undertake the work. I think it best that it follows this course at present without involving the RE. I know that they would be happy to come over and make good the memorial but doubt their travel costs would be covered.

As soon as the Mayor has the details he will inform my friend who will pass this on to me.

JB

Thanks Jeremy - I'm pleased this is being taken so seriously.

FWIW though, I can categorically state that damage occurred sometime between Weds 7th (morning) and Friday 9th (evening). I know because I was there at the memorial on both those days.

Mike

That may well be my mistake Mike - thanks for the clarification. I heard earlier that the Mayor of Bazentin has proposed that the commune of Bazentin undertakes the memorial's repair. He will contact the insurers of the contractor responsible for the damage.

With luck this should get done sooner rather than later. All depends on how the weather is as they will need to avoid conditions that are too cold or too wet.

JB

We saw the damage on Thursday morning the the 8th and Isabelle the hairdresser told my wife that a tractor ran over it the previous evening, the 7th.

Les

This is copied from another website, but I believe it is an accurate copy of the brass plate fixed to the rear of the monument itself.

On 28 July 1916, 82nd Field Company Royal Engineers received orders to march to Mametz Wood. They were to take over from the 94th Field Company Royal Engineer who had just completed the construction of a 300 yard communication trench to the 57th Brigade who at the time had been cut off for 24 hours in the village of Bazentin-le-Petit.

The following day the 82nd Field Company Royal Engineers constructed field defence strongpoints around Bazentin-le-Petit for the 57th Brigade in preparation for a forthcoming operation.

The ‘Nine Brave Men’ were part of 3 Section 82nd Field Company Royal Engineers and during the night of July 29 they moved to Bazentin-le-Petit with the Company who were supported by the infantry.

During the night the infantry support was withdrawn in order to prepare for an attack the next day. This left the Section to continue constructing the strongpoints under direct enemy fire at this point (named Crucifix Corner) until the task was complete.

Six men from the Section were killed and a further three badly injured who subsequently died from their injuries. All displayed outstanding courage whilst under direct enemy fire during the task.

This memorial stone was erected by Lieutenant Colonel RFA Butterworth, Royal Engineers who at the time of the action was the Company Commander of the 82nd Field Company Royal Engineers. After this tragic incident he was posted away, however he came back with his Adjutant and two sappers in November 1917 to erect this memorial.

Bricks were used from the ruined buildings in the village and the Memorial Stone made of granite was engraved in the Divisional Workshops at Canada Corner, near Mount Kemmel.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I understand things from my friend who has been dealing with the Maire of Bazentin the insurance company has coughed up and work should begin soon enough on rebuilding it. If I get more details I'll pass them on.

JB

• 2 months later...