Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this the uniform of a Royal Irish Fusilier

trishedst

post-93314-0-35130800-1352937493_thumb.j

Hi All

This is a picture of my GGF Thomas Brien, can anybody tell me if this the uniform of a Royal Irish Fusilier

Regards

ED

No, looks more like Dublin, Munster or Inniskilling Fusiliers (assuming an "Irish" regiment). The reason for this being that the Irish Fusiliers had a distinctive double collar badge, which is not shown in the photograph.

The soldier could be a Royal Irish Fusilier as only the officers wore a two part collar badge at that time and other ranks wore the universal grenade (enclosed). I would add that the soldier is wearing a 7-button Home service version of the scarlet undress frock, which had flapped pockets in the lower skirt. This looser fitting jacket was made of more coarse cloth than the more fitted full dress tunic and had no white piping. It began to be replaced gradually by khaki drab service dress from 1902 onwards. The soldier is definitely a fusilier as evinced by both the collar badges and two part shoulder titles that can just about be seen, but it could be any of the fusilier regiments from that period (before 1902).

The Royal Irish Fusiliers were however, wearing the two piece badge on the final pattern of full dress from 1913 (see enclosed).

post-599-0-55406800-1352974273_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-60128300-1352974300_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-01720500-1352974962_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-23543300-1352975809_thumb.jpg

• Admin

On the South Africa medal rolls there are T Briens in

5th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

5th Royal Fusiliers

1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Do you have a date of birth for him?

On the South Africa medal rolls there are T Briens in

5th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

5th Royal Fusiliers

1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Do you have a date of birth for him?

I think he is very likely a volunteer battalion man (so perhaps 5th RDF/RF) as the soldier in the photo appears to have a 3 part title, which would have been 5 V DF or 5 V RF.

Thanks Lads,

The picture can only one of three men GGF Thomas Brien RIF joined abt 1896, GGU Thomas Sutton Leinster Reg and GGU Bernard Sutton RDF joined after 1911. If The uniform is dated 1902 it can only be 5797 CSM Thomas Joseph Brien Royal Irish Fusiliers KIA 1916.

Regards

ED