Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilt: funny and apperently true

Marco

Mustard gas, not chlorine or phosgene, i suspect.

I always knew there was something not quite right about the Argylls.

I'm not sure it was their legs that the highlanders were worried about, if this is indeed true.

William

I don't think ladies tights of this sort existed until the 1960's when miniskirts made them necessary. If any sort of similar underwear was available in WW1 it would have been made in a natural material which, if soaked with mustard, would have worsened the effect on bare legs.

I can believe that long johns, or mayber even some lightweight undewear would be worn by kilties for warmth, but not as a protection against irritants.

When ladies tights of the modern sort did arrive on the scene we quickly found how useful they were for keeping warm, under combat trousers on exercise or on those interminable, snowy, German night duties in barracks. BD trousers tucked into anklets had been quite warm, but the when soldiers were issued with No 2 Dress, BD was withdrawn and officers had to tog up in SD. The cold went right up your legs.

Light, far less bulk than issue long johns, easy to carry, chuck 'em away when honking.

Brit soldiers kit has improved so much in the last 10 or 15 years that such improvisation probably isn'tany longer necessary

Although I was told by a Lifeguards Corporal Major that tights are worn under the buckskin breeches in full dress when the weather is very cold......

That clip has 'BBC' top left. From some comedy show? Certainly a comedy haircut, or lack of.

D

Childrens BBC program. :thumbsup:

Although I was told by a Lifeguards Corporal Major that tights are worn under the buckskin breeches in full dress when the weather is very cold......

. . . . I refuse to be drawn . . .

But where were you quartered.

OK, and are you well hung?

The clip comes from "Horrible Histories" - a hugely popular TV kids series based on the books. Whilst these are full of dubious "facts" and half-truths, they are no worse than the Ladybird history books books that enthralled a previous generation of 8 year olds, and inspired us to research further and find out just how complicated and interesting history is.

William

I am well old enough to remember early tights: there was no consensus about wearing over or under knickers. Skirts were so short the choice was public [careful with the spelling lad!] and in our road we had a very young mum with pushchair who, when bending down to attend to the brat, was Christened:

Jilly Knickers!

I am feeling faint, it must be the weather.

I am well old enough to remember early tights: there was no consensus about wearing over or under knickers.

Under/over ? I imagine the Life Guards would have been quite strict about that.

That clip has 'BBC' top left. From some comedy show? Certainly a comedy haircut, or lack of.

As Jerry said, childrens program. But I am sure most of the WW1 members will get it too... :hypocrite: .

I like this quote as well: "Where is the real British part of the British forces?!"

This is brilliant - and I love the way that the WW1 episode of Horrible Histories is presented by a rat :w00t:

William

I am well old enough to remember early tights: there was no consensus about wearing over or under knickers. Skirts were so short the choice was public [careful with the spelling lad!] and in our road we had a very young mum with pushchair who, when bending down to attend to the brat, was Christened:

Jilly Knickers!

I am feeling faint, it must be the weather.

That reminds me of a time in Lisburn in 1972 when a woman in a short skirt bent over in front of me. She probably thought the name panty-hose meant they made knickers unnecessary, but it gave me an interesting view.

This is brilliant - and I love the way that the WW1 episode of Horrible Histories is presented by a rat :w00t:

William

All episodes are. I'm a big fan of Horrible Histories, very entertaining, and unfortunately missed out the chance to be in it due to work - a few friends went instead and one is very prominent in a christmas truce segment