Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/cap badge id please

oldhama

Can anyone identify my grandfathers (William Oldham) uniform/cap badge, he was born in 1888 in Stockport and lived there all his life.

thanks in advance. Antony Oldhampost-94371-0-72926800-1352912764_thumb.j

A possible candidate could be RGA 4196/294552 William Oldham. This number indicates someone who enlisted in the 145th (East Cheshire) Heavy Battery. If this is the correct W Oldham if doesn't mean that he may not have served with other batteries later.

Kevin

Hi Anthony,

As Sam has already pointed out he is RFA or RGA(Royal Artillery), he is also a Lance Corporal. If you have a full name and service number, then someone I am sure, will be able to help further.

Robert

One stripe in the artillery in WW1 indicated the 'rank' of Bombardier, or the 'appointment' of Acting Bombardier, or Acting Paid/Unpaid Bombardier. This was a period of evolution for NCO ranks/appointments in general and for the artillery in particular. Two stripes during WW1 indicated the rank of Corporal for all almost all corps and regiments, including the artillery (just the cavalry (household and line) had some variations).

He is wearing a mounted pattern (short and double breasted) greatcoat and, as well as RFA/RGA, he could also be Royal Horse Artillery (RHA). All three elements of the artillery wore the same cap badge and utilised horsed transport at that time.

Anthony,

You need to find his regimental number. Does anyone in the family have his medals? Did he marry or have children during the war in which case it may be on the certificate. Find out if there was an absent voters list for Stockport which also may also show his number. Have a look at http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research/index.php/find-your-soldier/ .

Your grandfathers single stripe indicates before 30 November 1917

A Gunner with the appointments of either Acting Paid or Unpaid Acting Bombardier, Paid or Unpaid Acting Bombardier, Acting Full Bombardier or the rank of Bombardier

After 30 November 1917 Acting Paid or Unpaid Lance- Bombardier, Paid or Unpaid Lance-Bombardier, Acting Bombardier or the rank of Bombardier.

Kevin

He is certainly not a Lance Corporal.

Kevin

Whoops!! I should have realised that the R.A. is different to Infantry--I'll stick to medals in future :thumbsup: