Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for sold medals!

Salford

Can anyone help advise me if there are any internet sites I can visit to help track down WW1 medals? The MIC image is for my Great-Great Uncle who was in the Royal Irish Regiment 1895 – 1905 and was subsequently conscripted into the Royal Engineers at the age of 45 in 1917!

It appears from my research he may have sold his own medals and his father’s New Zealand 2nd Maori War medal as a job lot during 1929 to make ends meet, given he was struggling to find work as a dock labourer, when times were hard due to a Global Banking crisis!

The New Zealand medal was bought by an American Investment Banker at that time but my trail has run cold regarding my Great-Great Uncle’s WW1 medals and his earlier India and Boer war medals.

Grateful for any advice on how I could track down these medals.

BTW can anyone tell me why he has 2 service numbers?

Thanks

Salford

post-91216-0-62977800-1352730729_thumb.j

Salford,

I'm not a medal collector myself but you could keep an eye on the following site : http://www.medals-reunited.co.uk/

The BWM was made of silver so quite a few would have been sold for scrap in times of hardship.

Finally, the 1st service number WR/313530 - I think the WR stands for "Waterways & Railways"

link - http://www.1914-1918.net/cre.htm

Regards, BillyH.

Madman and BillyH

Many thanks for your advice.

Salford

Some Medal Dealers have search engines on their websites with details of previous lots sold - such as DNW. There is also www.medaltracker.com

The chances are you may not find them all - however re-unites do occur.

Bill is correct that he appears to have initially been attached top Waterways and Railways. It is probable that his number was transferred when he changed to another discipline within the Royal Engineers.

Do you have his other medal details (service numbers etc.) and that of his Father?

Rgds

Tim D

Looking at his Service Papers the number 334497 appears only once on his Statement of Services.

I suspect he was provided this number on or soon after he was called up for General Service. When he was transferred to the Royal Engineers he appears to have been issued WR313530. Seems to have an interesting service history!

Rgds

Tim D

Not wanting to stir up any trouble, but I have been told that the images of the MICs belong to the Archives, and therefore we are not allowed to publish them elsewhere. Does anyone know this for sure? I have not been able to verify this information. I do know that on BMF the images of MICs are deleted as being not allowed.

The chances are you may not find them all - however re-unites do occur.

I sold a whole load of pairs and trios three years ago (to pay a tax bill - eek!) on the famous e-auction site, and a pair was bought by a chap-they were his great-uncles' (I think) and he had been looking out for them for ages and was thrilled. So it can happen.

William

As far as I am aware if you buy it for yourself there is no issue with posting it here for assistance in interpreting it. If you are using your account to obtain and post records for others then it may become an issue.

Rgds

Tim D

I think being public records obtained from the PRO are alright versus obtained from Ancestry which is a commercial concern and has useer terms and conditons is the distinction.