Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

Archie1

Wondered if anyone can help.I have details of a Private in the Durham Light Infantry joined up 2nd May 1914,qualified for the 1914/15 trio,discharged 15th Jan 1918 & granted the SWB. On the rolls under 'unit' for him it reads A.R. 'W' whereas the others on the page have a battalion number.Does anyone know what this means please.

Many Thanks

Mark

Thought of that Russ but if I've read it correctly that was for reserved bods who may be called up,my man served from the start. Thanks for the thought though!

Mark

I think you misunderstand Class W was "for all those soldiers whose services are deemed to be more valuable to the country in civil rather than military employment " Soldiers could be transferred into class W and work as if civilians but were always subject to recall to the colours and were still soldiers. So your man could have started as an active soldier and been transfered into class W before his discharge. I believe that some men who had been injured (or sick) went into class W. Other 'experts' such as DeHaviland were in class W although fit (designing new aircraft being deemed more valuable than flying a BE2C over the front).

Ah! Thank you Centurion. Think I maybe I did misunderstand it.

Cheers

Mark