Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo I. D. William King

DavidK

I only discovered this site earlier this month when searching for ways to follow up on items found in a cardboard box of memorabilia my brother retained when he cleared our mother’s house when she died some 5 years ago. I hadn’t been able to visit the UK until this year. I have been researching my family tree for some time now but am new to military matters and very “green’.

The attached photo is of my grandfather, who survived the war but died long before I was born. I have established that he served in the 4th Btn. East Kent Regiment “The Buffs”. He sent a 1918-1919 Christmas/New Year printed greeting card from Multan, Punjab, India. I know little more about him. I had visited the National Archives at Kew and found two William Kings of the East Kent’s in the Medal Index Cards (now online). William King, G/4438 can be eliminated as he served in France and was discharged (Paragraph 392 XVI) on 14 Feb 1918. The entry for the other William King, 202251, only gave details of his medal, British War Medal. I have distant memories from childhood that I was told he had also served in the Boer War.

Hopefully, someone may be able pick something out from the photograph. The specific questions I have are:

1. Identification of the medal ribbon;

2. Significance of the chevron worn on the lower arm.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-23-1093416539.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The chevrons are Good Conduct stripes. The medal ribbon is a bit too small to make out but is consistant with it being the QSA - Queens South Africa medal.

Thank you Ian,

The medal ribbon may support the oral history that he served in the Boer War. Is there an database for the QSA similar to the Great War medal index?

My scanner is on the blink at the moment but I shall try a friend and scan the ribbon area from the original photo at high resolution. It could be a couple of days though.

Here is a close-up of the medal ribbon.

Another piece of circunstancial evidence supporting the oral history that he served in the Boer War is that I have been unable to trace him living iin England in the 1901 Census.

post-23-1093503875.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Thank you Ian,

The medal ribbon may support the oral history that he served in the Boer War. Is there an database for the QSA similar to the Great War medal index?

My scanner is on the blink at the moment but I shall try a friend and scan the ribbon area from the original photo at high resolution. It could be a couple of days though.

No - the medal rolls are under WO 100 at the NA.

Ian