Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery collar badge

Neil2

I wonder if any Pal can identify this collar badge. I did not expect the person pictured to have served in WW1 and it might be some civil insignia of the period. Any help gratefully received.

Neil

post-34224-0-28096700-1352641287_thumb.j

Hi Neil,

I am not certain but this could be either Border Regt or Berkshire Regt. I seem to think that I have seen photos with a similar collar badge to this previously. I think that it is a Dragon? possibly.

Hope this helps?

Robert

My first thoughts were either a RA or RE collar grenade which has only become partially illuminated in the photo - is it possible to see the rest of the photograph, as other uniform details will likely be aparrent to support an identification?

Any chance of seeing the full photo??

It is a universal grenade on a Royal Artilleryman's collar and so from before 1924. The highlights caused by reflection on the grenade will throw some not so familiar with it, but I wore it for a long time and recogised it straight away. It is also possible to see the yellow worsted piping to the collar and the doubled cord shoulder strap, also of yellow worsted. The enclosed images show the correct tunic but with both patterns of shoulder strap (cord and cloth) and the pre 1924 (i.e. 'universal') and post 1924 (with scroll), collar grenades.

post-599-0-40490000-1352654958_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-13595700-1352655005_thumb.jpg

My first thoughts were either a RA or RE collar grenade which has only become partially illuminated in the photo - is it possible to see the rest of the photograph, as other uniform details will likely be aparrent to support an identification?

You were correct.

That's wonderful - thank you very much. It proves what I suspected, that this is not the individual I was told it was but his brother, who served in the RGA I think. brilliant job - thanks to everyone.

Neil

That's wonderful - thank you very much. It proves what I suspected, that this is not the individual I was told it was but his brother, who served in the RGA I think. brilliant job - thanks to everyone.

Neil

Happy to help. Here is a better view of how the universal grenade collar badges looked.

post-599-0-92009700-1352765357_thumb.jpg