The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help How Much ?

GRACELAND

Hi May have the chance to purchase a medal belonging to my Family

How much would be a going rate to pay please ????

post-2316-0-01995600-1352637385_thumb.jp

The market value would vary according to, amongst other things, the unit the recipient served with, his entitlement to other medals, whether or not he was killed during the war and his rank.

The market value would vary according to, amongst other things, the unit the recipient served with, his entitlement to other medals, whether or not he was killed during the war and his rank.

I'm not a medal collector so can't help but this answer would be more helpful i think if a range of possible prices was included

Interesting it has the wrong ribbon, too. Is it possible the other medals from the set (War and Victory Medals) are there too and the ribbons have been swapped around?

He Died in France WW1 10 /11 /1915 2nd Ban Glos Regt Private

I guess the family had all the medals and the so called death penny once ?

If it belongs to your family, its PRICELESS. There will be a realistic market value though, and a quick look on e-bay will show you what is the top end of that!

Regards

Sean.

If it belongs to your family, its PRICELESS. There will be a realistic market value though, and a quick look on e-bay will show you what is the top end of that!

Regards

Sean.

Thank you for that info I am hoping they will offer me it But was unsure what to pay if i get it i will never sell it !

I do hope they have the set

Thanks for info on ribbon What one would that be off ??

It depends where you are purchasing the medal and how much the vendor knows about it. A 1914 Star to an o/r casualty of the Gloucesters killed in 1915 would probably fetch £90 to £125, but if you are very lucky you could pick it up for much less--possibly as little as £50 to £60. It all depends on the vendor!! Of course, as someone else has already pointed out, you may be prepared to pay more than anyone else because he is a family member.

Good Luck.

Robert

thank you For that I don't want to go too mad But if i get the chance i would like it !

Regards

Sean.

Thank you for that info I am hoping they will offer me it But was unsure what to pay if i get it i will never sell it !

I do hope they have the set

Thanks for info on ribbon What one would that be off ??

I missed this last post of yours--so do I assume that this is coming from within the family? If so I am afraid that you will have to hope that they either give the medals to you, or if not then you may have to offer them a full auction/market value.

The ribbon on the medal at present is that from the British War Medal. The family would originally have had the full set including the Memorial Plaque, unfortunately however many groups such as this have been split between family members, or either sold, discarded or simply lost.

Robert

It is a distant Relative It was My Great Uncle who died And His Sister son aged about 77 now has this one

£125 Market value ??

killed in action.yes -------THANK YOU ALL

I'm not a medal collector so can't help but this answer would be more helpful i think if a range of possible prices was included

Not really. What use is a range of values which may go from very much too low to massively too high? Surely better to ask for a little more information so that a useful answer might be given.

But then again, if you can't help why not criticise those who are trying to?

Thank you for the Advice all Not sure if i will be offered it or not ,I would like it as it is my Family My Great Uncle , But it is good to have an idea on how much to offer First !

Thank you All

£150 for a single 1914 Star to a non-1914 casualty is too high.

e bay advanced search completed listing for 1914/15 star will give masses of realised prices. Trios around £100 and single stars say £50 mid range.

My dad's brother Tommy's trio and plaque are still in the family and if sold would probably make £250 plus.

If it happens I'll only be outbid by Ashworth!!

Very best of luck. Buy it!