Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House Extension

Mark Hone

I understand why they did it, and the museum has some good ideas (The Concert Hall etc) but I came away from the 'new' Talbot House feeling very sad. It was all too 'In Flanders' Fields' for my liking and lacked genuine atmosphere. I didn't find some of the displays easy to follow. My wife also felt that the glass atrium overshadows the garden too much. A great pity as Toc H is one of my favourite spots on the Salient. If it preserves the House itself, though, perhaps it will be a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Mark,

I was at the opening on 15 Maay when the Committee types were all there in their finery. It seemed to me that it was the result of a compromise between the UK-based Talbot House Committee, the Belgian-based counterpart, Toc H in Wendover and the 'Friends of Talbot House'. I understand that there was much wheeler-dealing with folk shifting allegiances from one committee to the other.

I agree it comes across as a mini 'In Flanders Field' but the recreated Concert Hall does give a good idea of what it was like. I agree that the wall displays are far too busy and dense, and in no seeming chronological order. But I doubt the local rulers of the now dominant Belgian-based committee will be keen to listen tosuggestions, judging from the power-politics we all experienced during the opening.

For me, the saddest site of all was visiting with my ACF cadets 21/22 August, to see groups of folk wandering lost and clueless from room to room in the Old House, and Jacques reduced to his new 'role' as counter clerk in the new shop. He looked as sad as I felt.

The alleged (and I say alleged because I am not convinced this was the only or real reason) rationale to stop guided tours of the Old House was to reduce numbers to preserve the fabric of the building. From what i hear (and not from Jacques), the same numbers pay the extra and visit. The only difference is that because Jacques is no longer allowed to give his talks in each room, the groups stare blankly around not knowing the impact or significance of what is before them, and thus fail to be given the vital essence of the Old House.

Kerry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just heard that Jaques has been reinstated and will be giving his Chapel presentations again :)

Cheers

Ryan