Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts & Derby ?

Pierre

Hello all,

I try to identify this soldier.

He could be 266367 Pte Clarence Minard Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 25/08/1917 Aged 20 and buried in Templeux le Guerard British Cem., Somme

He served in the 15th Bn when he died.

This photo was taken in 1915

My questions are:

Is it possible he wears the 7th (Robin Hood) Bn cap badge and then have been transferred to the 15th Bn later ?

(See from David cox's book the two N&D caps badges)

He wears the Imperial War Reservist badge, was it possible at 18 y/o ?

He seems to have a badge on his left sleeve, any idea of what ?

Unfortunately, there is no information on his Medal card.

Many thanks by advance.

Pierre

post-6708-0-42170300-1352628889_thumb.jp

post-6708-0-95622500-1352628905_thumb.jp

The cap badge is not clear enough to state. The silver breast badge does not indicate a pre war reservist but indicates a member of the Territorial Army who had volunteered to serve outside of the United Kingdom. This would support the Robin Hood Rifles a Territorial Battalion, but a number of TA Battalions, including some Battalions of the London Regiment wore similar design badges to the Robin Hood's.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

Pierre,

Clarence's number of 266367 falls into the sequence of numbers issued to 7th (Robin Hood) Bttn men. He mostly likely enlisted on 17/04/1915 with a 4 digit service number of either 4589 or 4590. Men who enlisted either side of that pair subsequently went on the serve overseas with the 7th Bttn. In Clarence's case, this was not so, he originally served overseas with the 11th Bttn before his transfer to the 15th Bttn. The fact that he has a number in the 7th Bttn sequence would suggest to me that he was still with them when the TF were renumbered before going overseas.

As for the Imperial Service badge on his breast, I thought that was worn by all men who had volunteered for overseas service; In 1915, of course, it was still possible to enlist for TF home service. As for the badge on his sleeve, I wonder if it might be a bugle badge, denoting that the wearer is a bugler (the 7th Bttn was a the successor to the Robin Hood Rifles of the pre 1908 reform Volunteers)?

All this information has been collated by Stuart Wilson (PPCLI) as part of a research project we are undertaking into the 7th Battalion

Hope this is of use.

James O'Hara

*Of course, all this assumes it is Clarence Minard

Medal roll have him as serving in 11th Bn and then 15th Bn. Despite many of that batch of numbers being given to 7th Bn men.

The SWB have 266366 as 17/4/1915 and 266370 as 18/04/1915 so James is spot on.

Steve

Agree that the service number and imperial service badge suggests Territorial

bet he was 3/7th for training then transferred to 11th on arrival in France, happened to lots of N & D Terriers

Many thanks to you all, you have helped a family to confirm they can put a face on their cherished Clarence.

Cheers.

Pierre

Killed in Action during the German attack on the Knoll, near Lampire, (15th Btn) France, as Mike pointed out 3/7th Btn (Robin Hood) and his address puts him near enough slap bang in the middle of Nottingham City centre. BRONNO.