Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W.W.1 British Ammunition Boots

juno-44

Hi to everyone, some one is offering me W.W.1 British/Canadian ammunition boots, both are dated 1917 on the inside and each have a Broad Arrow on the top side of the boots (see my photos).

I know they are quite rare and I would really like to get them but I do not know what they are worth. He is telling that they could be worth over $1500.00 which I find a bit high but again

it is the first pair I see in 30 years, does anyone knows the true value of such an item?

Regards, juno-44

boots1.jpg

boots2.jpg

boots3.jpg

boots4.jpg

Juno-44,

Top value is a matter of subjectivity and really depends on how much you are willing to pay.

$1500 is a good deal--not a great deal. I would still buy if the $ was changed to £.

Those B5 boots are in very good condition.

Joe Sweeney

I was offered a slightly battered pair three years ago for £1k. I wish I'd bought them now.

Joe - most of the examples I have seen have had the leather 'reversed'. These clearly have the leather with the grain on the outside. Was this common?

Best wishes,

Taff

Taff,

Not sure how common but definately allowed as an acceptable alternate per the RACD pattern instructions and I've seen other pairs of B5s with pebble grain.

I have a pair of 17 dated B5s. smooth side out--also acceptable--and a 1918 dated pair with a more normal rough side out.

I also have a pair of B2 made IAW with the 1915 pattern update which allowed three layer soles (no billing) with brown pebbled grain.

Take care,

Joe