Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Kelling, Nr Holt, Norfolk.

cressy

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there that would know whether High Kelling Hospital, and an adjoining house, known as Kelling Place in 1914 were used for the treatment of casualties during the Great war??

Many thanks in advance

Paul........

Hello Paul,

I don't know about the hospital but Kelling Place (Home Place) was used as a convalescent home during the Great War.

Records are kept at Norfolk Archives: www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk

Sandie

Oh you beaut, Sandie.

If you were closer I would give you a big kiss right now!!!! :whistle:

That is just the exact answer I was hoping for.. One more piece in a giant jigsaw, and Norwich only 15 miles down the road from me.....

Many, many thanks.

Best regards

Paul.........

Well I'm pleased I've made someone happy this evening!

When you are in Norwich ask to see (ACC) 1999/219 Kelling Hospital annual reports and photograph album, 1903-1960. You might find your answer there.

Note - Records listed by their accession number (ACC) have not been catalogued. Notice is required before they can be produced.

I can't find a reference number for Kelling Place, sorry. Are Voewood, Home Place and Kelling Place all the same building?

Good luck with your research,

Sandie

Hi again Sandie.

Oh you don't know how happy you have made me.. and thanks for the further information above.. It will make my search much easier.

Yes; Home Place, Kelling Place and Voewood are all one and the same, just at different times in it's history, I think in that order.

It's funny how this military genealogy gets it's hooks into you isn't it? This little quest started with two untitled photographs of a rather splendid country house found in amongst a 'secret cache' of love letters, postcards, address book, marriage and death certificates and other sundry papers found secreted away in the bottom of a jewellery box purchased at auction about 25 years ago.

The purchasers of the box spent many years trying to track down a relative of the paper's owners. Until they tripped over me and my search for the history of the mysterious Lt,-Col. Hugh Montrein Cressingham DSO, DCM....... The box had belonged to his daughter Lylie Montrein Van Baerle (nee Cressingham), then her son Hugh Sutherland Baerle Van Baerle . Who seemingly had got into serious financial problems; so his house and effects were seized and put to auction to help pay his debts...

After a lot of searching we found that the pictures were of Kelling Place, But as the family hail from Sussex and Lylie and her mother Eliza lived in Plymouth, Devon during WW1. and moved to Lee-on-the-Solent upon Hugh's retirement in 1920 It was a puzzle why she should have two un-named photographs (not postcards) of a house in North Norfolk in amongst a collection of all the most personal things one can own....

My theory was (and still is) that one of Lylie's relatives, suitors or her future husband perhaps had ended up there during WW1. (either as an officers mess or hospital)

I'm rather hoping that I may find mention of Lt. Lucius Eugene Baerle Van Baerle there, as he was commissioned into the A.S.C. in 1915 but was 'retired' from the army in 1916, and I cannot find why he served only one year.... failing him... Flt. Lt. John D'Arcy Levy FAA would be good. BUT the holy grail would be an as yet undiscovered Cressingham!!!

Once again Sandie many, many thanks for the loan of your expertise. You have indeed made an old man very happy..

Very best regards

Paul Cressingham

Hello Paul,

What a fascinating story! I do hope you find what you are looking for, I like happy endings.

Kelling Place, apparently, was a boys school up until 1914 and then a convalescent home during the war. I had a look online for a photograph, it's pretty spectacular.

Good luck for your visit to Norwich,

Sandie

Hi Sandie.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best regards

Paul...................... :poppy: