Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC Surgeon posted to South African Defence Force - why?

LinaMoffitt

One of the Aussie doctors I'm writing about who joined RAMC mid 1915 and was allotted to the Lincolnshire Regiment until July 1917. Then there's a blank until May 1918 when he was promoted to Major and sent/requested the South African Defence Force.

It is more likely he was sent or that he asked? In either case, why? You'd think he'd had enough by then. I did find in an old book that May 1918 was also the month when admin of the Union Defence Force changed but again nothing about engagements or why they'd need to send down doctors from so far away. By 1919 he was back in Australia.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Lina

Lina,

Have you looked to see if his service documents are still existence ? If you don't have access to Ancestry, post his name and some kind person will have a look for you. Alternatively, I am led

to believe that soldiers records are free to access on Ancestry from 9 to 12 Nov. Another avenue to look through is the war diary of the Lincolnshire Regiment, and as the doctor is an officer he will

probably be mentioned at some stage.

My feeling is that a posting to South African Defence Force may have become available (with a promotion as a sweetener) and he applied and obtained the position.

Hi David

As he was an Aussie, they were regarded as Temporary officers and their files were destroyed after the war.

regards

Lina

As he was an Aussie, they were regarded as Temporary officers and their files were destroyed after the war.

That was no reflection on Australians - all files of temporary officers with the RAMC were destroyed, whatever their background.

Sue

It is more likely he was sent or that he asked? In either case, why? You'd think he'd had enough by then. I did find in an old book that May 1918 was also the month when admin of the Union Defence Force changed but again nothing about engagements or why they'd need to send down doctors from so far away. By 1919 he was back in Australia.

The UDF units on the Western Front took very heavy casualties in March/April 1918 and he may have been plugging a gap in their medical capabilities.