Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND - Books?

Guest RichardM

I found "Command in the Royal Naval Division" by Christopher Page a very good book. Also "The Royal Naval division History" by Jerrold Douglas, which has been reprinted and "The Hood Battalion" by Leonard Sellers. Leonard Sellers is editing a very good magazine on the RND too. I can forward you his contacting address if you want me to.

Enjoy the reading!

Charlotte

Richard

Naval and Military Press reprinted the RND history, if they dont

have a copy, I think Ray Westlake probably will.

Unfortunately for some reason they decided to print the maps

seperately but without any method of storing them with the book.

Geoff

Joe Murray's Gallipoli As I Saw It and his companion volume on the Western Front are good RND memoirs, as is A.O.Pollard's Fire Eater - Memories of a VC ; Pollard was a Capt in the HAC and got his VC at Gavrelle.

Sadly all three are out of print, but probably available via the net.

One interesting aspect of the RND is the role of glitterati amongst their number; one only has to mention Brooke (Rupert Chawner) to start the list rolling. A P Herbert; Bernard Freyburg; Patrick Shaw-Stewart; Arthur Asquith; FS (Clegg) Kelly; W Denis Browne; Charles Lister to name but a few in the Hood battalion. Most of them have biographies and/or memorial books published which are a useful adjunct to the more standard volumes already listed. A new volume is due shortly on Clegg Kelly's diaries (see http://www.nla.gov.au/pub/kellydiaries.html) and there are other volumes of interest such as Herberts factually based novel "The Secret Battle".

Charlotte has mentioned the absolutely excellent "RND" which Len Sellers publishes and which deserves to be more widely known. It contains a mix of all sorts of contemporary material, accounts, diaries etc. etc. and looks at all the arenas in which the RND served. It is due to move from a paper format to an electronic (CD-ROM) format for distribution shortly but has already reached 24 editions and over 2500 pages. Copies are given to the principal archives, so you could consult it at the IWM or Fleet Air Arm Museum for example. I would add that I am not on commission, just a very satisfied reader.

I have recently seen remainder copies of the Hood Battalion so it may not be in print for much longer. Get one while you still can!

Sorry, but I can't remember exactly where I saw the Hood Battalion (at £9.99 I think). My best guess is that it was a recent visit to Charing Cross Road (somewhere on the eastern side in a modernish looking shop) in London. I am sorry to have to admit that I pass through too many bookshops at times! If I find one I will post it here.