Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family Member

Grenadier2453

I believe looking at previous posts and speaking with an aquaintance that this is the place to come to help me with my quest of acertaining Regiment etc.. Can anyone assist with this photo?

post-93923-0-89821900-1352322232_thumb.j

Hi Grenadier,

Welcome to the Forum.

He looks to be Royal Artillery and a Sergeant or possibly Battery Sgt Major? Do you have a name?

Robert

I also have letter written on Easter Monday, not sure of year......

Transcript of letter written during 1914-18 war to Elizabeth Smith from her brother John T Smith.

Dear Sister.

Just a line in answer to yours and ----- and I hope this will find you much better and all the children well. I have just wrote to Fred, and told him if he wants anything he is to let me know and I will do it for him with pleasure. I hope dear you have had a good holiday but here we are stuck into it as usual as the Germans started on us at 4 o'clock this morning and they sent about 200 8 inch shells into us but we are still all well, and we are sending them a few back and it is a lovely day. I think I have lost all my nerves as I dont know what I am doing at times, and I forget things, I am just about beat. I should have liked a few ------ as we was on biscuits and bully. Well dear sister I think this is all this time as I send you and the children my very best love & wishes. Brother Jack xxxxxx

This little flower was picked from the Battlefields of Loos

I have had a quick look on Ancestry but cannot come up with anything concrete. Do you have a service number? or even his middle name may help.

Robert

I have tried ancestry without success.

I believe his name to be John Tom Smith, born abt 1885 in Nottingham. I also have pictures of his brothers.

post-93923-0-44041500-1352325304_thumb.j

post-93923-0-70190700-1352325305_thumb.j

With Smith as a name you may need to look at the 1918 Absent Voters List for the General Election in December of that year, as men in the army were listed on those lists often with army number etc. You would need to know his address. I think the central library/local studies holds a copy.

Steve.

Robert

I have tried ancestry without success.

I believe his name to be John Tom Smith, born abt 1885 in Nottingham. I also have pictures of his brothers.

The first man could be 7th (Robin Hood)Bn Notts and Derby Regt and the second could be Worcestershire Yeomanry? but not certain of either.

Robert

[

Robert I have tried ancestry without success. I believe his name to be John Tom Smith, born abt 1885 in Nottingham. I also have pictures of his brothers.

The second chap pictured is in the Canadian army - he is wearing their 7-button version of the SD jacket (with collar dogs, and also "Canada" shoulder titles on the epaulettes), and also the belt off the Canadian 1916 dismounted equipment.

I think your right Old Owl is right. He appears to probably be a Battery Sergeant Major (or possibly a BQMS). 3 x chevrons under a gun and a crown.

There is only 1 x Sergeant Major John Smith (Royal Garrison Artillery) listed the MICs (also notes Acting RSM and awarded Meritorious Service Medal) number 14435. He is listed in the London Gazette as 38 Heavy Artillery Bde from Wakefield.

There is also a Warrant Officer Class 1 number 12684.

I can't find a John T Smith who obviously fits the bill.

Rgds

Tim D

Do you know where he was living when he joined up?

Rgds

Tim D

Many thanks to all so far. All the items have come out of a box which belonged to my Great-Grandmother.

The photograph of the soldier seated has 'Uncle Jack' written on the back. I know she had a brother John whom was known as Jack and have therefore put 2 and 2 together presuming it was him. The transcript of the original letter above is addressed to my Great Grandmother and is from a --- Sgt J T Smith.

My great grandmother was Elizabeth Smith born in Nottingham 19 Dec 1882.

Simon

There are numerous photo's/post cards within the box and I have very little knowledge or history of any of them.

see attached for 2 others.

post-93923-0-09154400-1352357531_thumb.j

Great photos. Keep them coming!

The last photo tells you that Jack/John was with 18th Army Bde Royal Field Artillery.

There is a 1013 (also 775147) Serjeant Jack Smith who won an MM. I will try to find him in the London Gazette to see where he was from. There are pension papers for this Jack Smith. Has him as 1st West Riding Bde, RFA, then 1/2 West Riding and then 245th Bde.

It looks like he joined in 1913 (territorial unit) and was from somewhere starting with 'Providence'.

EDIT: Not him, this man was from Leeds.

Rgds

Tim D

There are numerous photo's/post cards within the box and I have very little knowledge or history of any of them.

see attached for 2 others.

In the first photo the man standing to the left is a Birmingham City Bn man, not sure which battalion as they all wore the same badge with only the Bn number changed, 1st/2nd/3rd.

Next to him is a Worcestershire Regt, then a Seaforths? and a Royal Artillery. They are all obviously wounded, I wonder if they are related in some way?

I think that they are wearing 'Hospital Blues' under their greatcoats.

The second is obviously a football team, HQ, 18th Army Bde RFA. It looks like BSM Smith is seated to the left of the chap with the ball.

Great photos.

Robert

[

The second chap pictured is in the Canadian army - he is wearing their 7-button version of the SD jacket (with collar dogs, and also "Canada" shoulder titles on the epaulettes), and also the belt off the Canadian 1916 dismounted equipment.

I thought that he looked to have a Canadian badge but couldn't see how he fitted in--thanks for pointing this out.

Robert

Great photos! First is a Canadian, second are members of the Notts and Derby Regiment and the third look like Royal Artillery.

Rgds

Tim D