The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Bn KOYLI, Dating Service Number

Gunner R.A.

One of the soldiers from the memorial I am researching was a pre-war regular with 1st Bn KOYLI as follows,

SPENCER, Thomas, b. Beckwithshaw, Harrogate, e. Wakefield, 10386, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 08/05/1915, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, 1st Bn

Looking at Paul Nixon's site I can see that he enlisted between Jan 1910 and Dec 1911, is there any chance anyone could provide a more accurate date for me please? Unfortunately it appears that his service record did not survive.

I have tried to contact Paul on the forum but his in box must be full

Kind regards,

Pete.

Pete

If you have access to the SWB Lists on Ancestry UK you can often date a number as it shows date of enlistment against the men who were discharged to SWB. I know it's a long job and sometimes throws in a few numbers which defy the sequence but it has a good chance of narrowing down what you have.

York and O Lists are what you seek.

Sotonmate

PS Narrowing it down already ! 10331 31 Aug 1910 and 10412 8 Jun 1911

Pete

If you have access to the SWB Lists on Ancestry UK you can often date a number as it shows date of enlistment against the men who were discharged to SWB. I know it's a long job and sometimes throws in a few numbers which defy the sequence but it has a good chance of narrowing down what you have.

York and O Lists are what you seek.

Sotonmate

PS Narrowing it down already ! 10331 31 Aug 1910 and 10412 8 Jun 1911

Nice one Sotonmate, unfortunately i don't have access to Ancestry anymore, maybe Paul Nixon will see this, he is extremely good with service numbers.

cheers mate,

Pete.

last one for me- 10380 24 Jan 1911.

thomas spencer on 1911 census born harrogate in 1893 serving koyli

Cheers Veklee,

looking in his i file i notice that when i had Ancestry i was unable to find him in the 1911, i don't suppose you have a copy of the entry?

cheers,

Pete.

last one for me- 10380 24 Jan 1911.

Enlistment into the KOYLI in 1911 doesn't look very swift, a slightly tighter timeframe for you though is between 27th March and 25th April 1911 although early April is probable?;

10370 - 31st December 1910

10375 - 6th January 1911

10383 - 8th March 1911

10385 - 27th March 1911

10393 - 25th April 1911

10407 - 30th May 1911

Hope it helps.

Steve

Well, the 1911 census related to the night of 2 April, so it looks as if he were in by then. But it's not entirely impossible that the paperwork wasn't done until a bit late and he was listed in error

Well, the 1911 census related to the night of 2 April, so it looks as if he were in by then. But it's not entirely impossible that the paperwork wasn't done until a bit late and he was listed in error

Thanks for the input Dave.