Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for some advice on starting a collection

davidckahn

Greetings. I am interested in starting a somewhat respectable collection of medals from WWI, but I honsetly have little idea what I'm doing. I've picked up a few medals at antique stores that I've run across in Europe, but don't really have a theme as of yet.

I have always found WWI to be more interesting than any other conflict in history, for a number of reasons. I wouldn't call myself a "WWI buff," but I think that this hobby would afford me a good, goal-oriented activity that would let me learn more about the war as I go along. My problem is that my brain works more at the level of the forest, rather than the level of the trees. I understand that serious collectors like to focus on one particular regiment or battle, but I'm afraid that just isn't my forte. The intricacies of military tactics do not click with me, and I have always been more interested in country and theatre-level events. Even if I were knowledgeable about the intricacies of individual battles, I would have little reason to pick one battle or regiment over another, as I am an American and am not aware of any relatives of mine who served in the war.

I was thinking of trying to collect the Interallied Victory Medal from each country that issued it. I have also considered going one country at a time and collecting one of each medal that was issued specifically for WWI. Would either of these be a good way to start? If not, what would you suggest? I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

David,

Am not a medal collector, but did consider doing the Victory Medal collection thing many years ago. Problems are: Most (all?) non-UK versions are not named, meaning fakes abound. Of the 14 variants, it is relatively easy to gather the first 8 or 10, but very expensive to get the last few. If money is no object, however, I imagine you could complete your collection of 14 in a few months buying from medal dealers via the internet, then you are stuck for where to go from there!!!

How about trying to collect one trio from every regiment? Or a 14 trio from every regiment that qualified (that way, once completed, you could then start on 14/15 trios to regiments that didn't qualify for the 14 star..!!) That would keep you busy for a while, I would imagine!!

Alternatively you could start collecting trench art - truly unique artwork from the period available in almost unlimited variety...!

Good luck with whatever you decide...

James

I am a medal collector on a number of themes. In all honesty you need a theme otherwise it is a scattergun approach and unlikley to give you satisfaction. It also depends on the size of your pocket. Collecting 1914 trios as James has suggested will prove expensive - even 1914/5 trios will set you back heavily. If I were in your position and no particular leaning as to regiment or battles I would suggest collecting medals named to your surname (I assume that it is Kahn). Then, when you get one, you can research the man, where he came from, family, where he served and so on. Indeed, if you expand to Khan there will be a most interesting array of Indian medals available to you to research. It is the research that really brings medals alive and British medals (including Indian) in particular because they are named.

Thanks for the advice from both of you. The surname idea is an interesting one...I'm actually planning a trip in the near future to Lithuania/Latvia, as that is where my family emigrated to the US from, so this could go hand-in-hand with my genealogical research. My great-grandfather was actually in the US Army, but he joined only a couple months before the war ended. Not sure if he had any medals, but I could at least find out what unit he was in and try and get some medals from it.

I understand that some of the Victory medals are hard to come by and expensive, but I've been looking around and think I can get at least the major players (i.e. not Cuba, Brazil, Siam, etc.) without breaking the bank. From there, I can decide if I want to go to the trouble of getting the less common ones.

Hello David,

My advice is before you start buying medals on what ever theme you finally decide, invest in the best reference books you can find on medals and also buy a history of the Great War/WW1 to support your interest.

khaki

Don't do it.

Just get books about the great war instead and read them.. They don't need insuring, polishing or mounting, and they will hold your attention far longer.

Indeed, after that, spend the money that you have saved on visiting the battlefields. You'll never regret it.

Keith

Ducking.

Hi David,

I have been a medal collector for in excess of 30 years but I would never advise anyone about which medals to collect. Collecting anything is a learning curve, sometimes the curve is gradual and sometimes it throws you right back upon yourself with great force!!

Because you appear to have decided to collect medals then my advice is in agreement with Khaki, ie. buy the best reference books relating to the type of medals (British?) which you want to collect and always buy your medals from reputable and experienced dealers. This may be hard on the pocket!! but not as hard as being had by some unscrupulous person who will not return your money if there is a problem, and there are a few of them about, believe you me!!

Good luck,

Robert

Hello David,

I think one of the first things to decide is if you are interested purely in the medals, or the men behind them. If you want to research the men who won them, then in my opinion ww1 British medals are the best bet, because they are named to an individual, I've found I've learnt a lot about ww1 by researching different men. The majority of foreign medals are unamed, so collecting those is more about the medals and less about the man who won them.

Maybe food for thought,

Regards,

Spud

Don't do it.

Just get books about the great war instead and read them.. They don't need insuring, polishing or mounting, and they will hold your attention far longer.

Indeed, after that, spend the money that you have saved on visiting the battlefields. You'll never regret it.

Keith

Ducking.

I think you are right, my medal collections (apart from the french examples) went years ago, cost was ridiculous and just how many trios and pairs do you need, well in my case it was around 120.

"just how many trios and pair do you need"

I couldn't agree more and this is the unfortunate part of collecting WW1 medals. The plus side is that each Trio or Pair has its own individual story, some of which can be absolutely fascinating.

Robert

Wot Spud said!

For me, the medals I collect are a focus for the research books I buy and the trips I take. I don't really treat the medals as "things" in themselves, but the link that they represent to the man behind them, who he was and what he did.

"just how many trios and pair do you need"

I think it depends on HOW you collect. If you hoover-up anything/everything, or you have a very broad theme for collecting, then I imagine its rather difficult to manage or to appreciate the individual men represented by such a large collection.

I have a really small collection, but I research each one and try to build up a picture of the man that the medals are a link to.

To echo what Spud said, I've broadened my interest as a reault of collecting medals and reading around my chosen theme. I started off just being interestred in aviation related elements of the Great War, but reading around the subject has broadened my knowledge of many other aspects of the war on land and at sea and I've developed an interest in the artillery as a result of the link between the RFC/RAF and the gunners.

"Each to their own" as they say!

David - If you are interested specifically in British medals, then the British Medal Forum is a useful resource.

Kerching - that's my tuppence worth.

Jon

Hi David,

Interesting comments all round, but if you do decide to go down the 'collecting path' don't be surprised if you get led astray from your intentions. All collectors tend to go through an evolution of collecting either finding or being offered items that technically do not fit. If you haven't already, have a look at the thread on this forum "Militaria Displayed" you will see some wonderful images of collections including medals that are beautifully presented by fellow members.

regards

khaki

I enjoyed reading these comments. I have been a collector for just over 30 years. Only in the last 7 or so, have I returned to WWI medal collecting. For me it is not about the medal, it's about the man behind it. I pick up anything that tweaks my interest. One pair I pick up a couple years ago simply because of his answer on the Attestation form, to the question "Are you married" Pretty much simple question, with a simple answer. NOT his reply was YES, stroked out, NO storked out, ABOUT TO BE was the final answer. To me that was funny, just had to have it.

I have had poor luck researching British WWI medals, and since I live in Canada, I chose WWI medals to Canadians.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to concentrate on.

Hi David, I have been a medal collector since the age of 13.... In those early years (guided by my father) we concentrated on "famous " medals e.g. Iron Cross, Purple Heart, Legion de Honneur etc and built up a reasonable collection. The Victory medal idea is a good one in my opinion. You might want to look at the US Victory Medal with its numerous bars which are very interesting. You could then move onto selective medals from the different nations e.g. a couple of campaign medals and a couple of Gallantry Medals. If you intend to buy some British Medals but have no particular area of interest then stick to a few units that you know e.g. an example to the Navy, Airforce and a few Army units such as the Royal Engineers, Royal Artillery etc. You might want to just get a few infantry examples to those units that you have heard of like the Grenadier Guards or the Black Watch.

These are just some Ideas. Definately invest in some books on the subject. The Medals Year Book for example - not heavy reading but informative.

At the end of the day it is up to you and what you fancy... don't be affraid to do your own thing!

Regards and Good Luck!.

I think it depends on the reason you are collecting, are you collecting to amass a large number of items which form a collection, for example badges, buttons or unnamed medals and educate yourself and possibly others on your research into these items or are you collecting to satisfy a need to complete original research for example by researching named medals.

if you collect Victory medals what are you really doing apart from having an incomplete collection of medals that may or may not be original, where the research has already been done to death, nothing new is going to be added by yourself (if anyone would like to argue that point please feel free), but you will have a pretty group of medals (all with the same colour ribbon) that depending on your finances can be completed within a week or however long it takes the dealers on ebay to send the medals to your address. Not really very fulfilling.

I wouldn't just look at medals, I would visit militaria fairs, antique shops, junk shops and handle military 'stuff' and you will get a feel of what you like and what interests you and meets your budget. Don't just stare at Ebay.

But thats just my opinion having collected for 35 plus years, spent many thousands of pounds, and although having sold the majority of my collections, I am still a magpie and can't resist a dated Hudson whistle, an unusual variation on a button or any other item that takes my fancy.

Apologies if any of the above is patronising or simplistic.

Mick

I wouldn't just look at medals, I would visit militaria fairs, antique shops, junk shops and handle military 'stuff' and you will get a feel of what you like and what interests you and meets your budget. Don't just stare at Ebay.

Well said Mick. While I don't collect medals (yet) I agree the best part is often in the search, the knowledge gained, and the interesting people you meet. And the bargains that just turn up out of nowhere.!

Cheers, S>S

Hi,

If you don't want to spend a lot buy singles to a theme. There are some Corps that are a lot cheaper than the Main Infantry to collect such as RFA, RHA, RGA, ASC and RAMC. You could also decide for instance with ASC to collect a medal to each of the different Pre-Fixes that they have as part of their Service Number ie S4, T1, SS, RX4, EMT, RTS etc. You could also do the same for Naval medals.

Good Luck

Steve

I think it depends on the reason you are collecting, are you collecting to amass a large number of items which form a collection, for example badges, buttons or unnamed medals and educate yourself and possibly others on your research into these items or are you collecting to satisfy a need to complete original research for example by researching named medals.

if you collect Victory medals what are you really doing apart from having an incomplete collection of medals that may or may not be original, where the research has already been done to death, nothing new is going to be added by yourself (if anyone would like to argue that point please feel free), but you will have a pretty group of medals (all with the same colour ribbon) that depending on your finances can be completed within a week or however long it takes the dealers on ebay to send the medals to your address. Not really very fulfilling.

But thats just my opinion having collected for 35 plus years, spent many thousands of pounds, and although having sold the majority of my collections, I am still a magpie and can't resist a dated Hudson whistle, an unusual variation on a button or any other item that takes my fancy.

Apologies if any of the above is patronising or simplistic.

Mick

The Allied Victory Medals for Brazil and Thailand are very scare and there are none on e-bay. The Cuban medal does turn up on there but commands £300 - £500. Not that I am an e-bay advocate or anything!!!!!!.

Thats my point, you will never have a satisfying collection, and so what if you did, there would always be a niggle that one or two aren't 'right' and what are you going to do with them, your wife or partner, your friends and other collectors will look and yawn.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting comments here. I think we all have our views I'm sure. I don't collect medals for the benefit of other peoples' views, I collect them in order to learn a little about each specific soldier, and to temporarily have possession of a little piece of history.

As an ex-military book dealer, I find this far more satisfying than owning books. My research on each individual is what makes the hobby worthwhile. Finding a photo, standing where that individual probably stood in F&F.

Each to their own - the satisfaction of the collection is entirely down to the individual.

Set a theme, and a budget and get what you want from it. If you get bored - shockingly enough - medals over the years have performed pretty well as an investment.

Enjoy it!

Thats exactly why I keep my collection of 527 Beswick birds secret, because only I am interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was a British Victory Medal that drew me into the hobby. Granted, collecting all the allied victory medals seems to have its limitations, but excitement can be added to the chase by getting into the various (and often spurious) American campaign bars for the Victory Medal just as one example.

I like British Victory Medals because they offer a named medal with research possibilities at a reasonable price-I may never have a musuem quality display but I have the satisfaction of collecting something that I like, having the possibility of research and keeping the memory of the recipient alive.

That said, Mick makes some good 'eyes wide open' points in his posts. I still like my 'humble' Victory medals however.

Regards,

Joseph

I do have a collection of medals, mostly all casualties (and focussed on the Somme but not all) and a few gallantry groups. For me there is a benefit in collecting that compliments books and battlefield trips. What came first the chicken or the egg........a medal purchase has led me to invest in a book and research the event the soldier was involved in and often died. This leads me to visit the grave / memorial and then walk the fields in which the action occurred. For me that is a huge benefit and had I not got the medal I may not have invested in the book and the field walk. On the other side of the coin a field walk / book has prompted me to buy medals as a link to the research / walk....hence the chicken / egg question!

I agree with Mick.....look into all aspects of militaria. Focus on a theme and for me stick to one conflict. I know people who buy WW 1 items / WW 2 items or other things that capture their attention only to sell off items later once they have decided what they really want to collect...usually selling at a lesser price than paid.

Hope this helps and also whatever you buy, buy at the best price you can, from a good dealer until you know your stuff and always go for the top quality...one excellant trio for me is a better item to focus on than an eclectic mix.

And finally always remember the medal is not a commodity, it is a link to the past and the individual who earned it. You will only be a custodian and with that comes great responsibility....never break a group down!

Regards

TT

• 4 months later...

David, I have been a medal collector since the age of 5. I began collecting 3rd Reich medals and at the age of 10 bought my first British group to a 1st Day Somme casualty. Researching the recipient was such a thrill that I switched to collecting British/Commonwealth medals which have the advantage of naming and thus are attributable. I have had several themes of collecting; Military Crosses, medals to the Thin Red Line, chargers in the Heavy and Light Brigades, Australians at Gallipoli and Pals battalions on the Western Front......however I believe the greatest joy is buying medals with a story. That's why I have given up trying to collect a narrow field, and have branched out to collecting medals that grab my attention. Collect whatever gives you the most enjoyment rather than trying to limit yourself. Just watch your budget!