Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers' training

Hugh Pattenden

Were officers given any sort of advice during their formal training on how to write letters to the relatives of dead soldiers, or was it a case of 'learn on the job'?

It must have required a great deal of maturity from the younger officers, given that some were but 19 or 20. It was not something really covered in the early 20th century classical education.

Hugh

From my experience, very often the letters were written by the Chaplain or a senior officer in the battalion. There were also occasions when the NCO/QMS wrote the letter of explanation and condolence, however I expect in most instances the letters formed a well trodden path that had been passed down almost as a template.

One thing I would add to Signal's post ...

In 'small town' Pal's battalions, I can detect an attempt by officers to 'do their best' to ease the family's grief. I would love to know how this practice changed as the 'originals' were whittled away?

When it was a case of the 'odd angry shot' and casualties were steady but not overwhelming, many of the letters are very movingly written. I suppose it was a case of learning on the job for these 'young gentlemen' who were in for the duration.

There's no hard and fast rule but Signal's generalisation holds pretty true.

How the regular officers dealt with such issues is something I am in the dark about.

Like Signals I would say that many of the 'condolence' letters which had been written by unit officers during the earlier part of the war became part and parcel of the Chaplain's work in the last two years.

Two examples from 1916

Private John Knox

MRS. Knox, Greenvale Street, Ballymena, has received information that her son, Rfn. John Knox of the Royal Irish Rifles, has been killed in action at the front. A letter from Capt. John E. Jenks, received by her on Wednesday

morning stated that he had been wounded but a further communication from the same officer, received by her

yesterday morning, intimated that he had died as a result of his wounds.

The following are the letters:-“Saturday, April 8, 1916. Dear Mrs. Knox. I much regret to inform you that your son, NO.641, Rfn John Knox was wounded this afternoon. He was working in the trenches when a shell exploded close to

where he was and a piece of it struck him on the back of the head. I was unable to find out exactly how serious the wound was, she he was not working with our own battalion this afternoon. but from what I learn, I fear it was

serious. I will write again when I can get any further particulars. “

And then:- “Sunday, April 9, 1916. Dear Mrs. Knox - Further of mine yesterday - it is my sad duty to inform you that your son, Rfn. J. Knox died last night as the result of the wound he received in the trenches. You have my deepest sympathy in your sad loss, as the boy was a general favourite and a good soldier and in the days to come it may be some consolation to you to remember that he did his duty well and died for his country.”

Ballymena Observer, April 14, 1916

and

Sergeant R. Herbison

MISS Herbison, 26 Hill Street, Ballymena, has ben informed that he brother, Sergeant R. Herbison 12th Royal Irish Rifles (CAV) was killed in action on Sunday, August 27th. Sergeant Herbison was, prior to joining the colours, an

employee in the Phoenix Weaving Factory, Ballymena.

He was a member of the Ulster Volunteer Force and of Ballykeel LOL 472. His brother, Lce. Cpl. James Herbison,

Royal Irish Fusiliers, is serving at the front. A letter received from the Rev. A. Gibson, Chaplain to the Central Antrims, states that Sgt. Herbison was killed while out on duty in no-man’s land.

He adds:- “He was a most excellent soldier and a very good NCO and the regiment will miss him very much. He had done very fine work when the battalion went into action on 1st July and I have heard from his officers how nobly he

did his duty that day. He was buried in a little cemetery near the firing line.”

Lt. W.B. Stuart writes:- “Dear Miss Herbison, I cannot tell you with what regret it is hat I am writing to tell you of the death of your brother. He was killed by a bullet passing through his brain so that I am glad to say that he suffered

absolutely no pain.

“I have known your brother personally for nearly two years and I feel that I have lost a real friend as well as an excellent sergeant. I have never met anyone whom I trusted more than your brother. He was absolutely fearless and could always be depended upon to do anything.

“perhaps you have heard that he was recommended for bravery at the battle of the Some, when, after three attempts

had been made, he collected eight men of his platoon and was going to make another attack, when, luckily, he was stopped as the chance was hopeless. I was present at the funeral and he has been laid in a British cemetery just behind

the firing line so there wil be no difficulty in locating the grave after the war should anyone wish to do so.”

Ballymena Observer, September 15, 1916

Thanks Desmond7,

I feared it might have been soemthing like that. Someone could write an interesting study on this topic.

Hugh.

I've also come across 'condolence' letters written by nurses. Would these have been in addition to the Officer's/ Chaplain's letter ?

Myrtle,

Letters from nurses suggest a patient who had been under care for more than a few days. Should a soldier receive a disabling wound, one with a significant risk of delayed infection / death, the patient may have been evacuated some distance from the line. The CO / Chaplain might not receive notice of the man's death for some time.

For soldiers unable to write due to injuries, it was common for others to offer to write down a "dictated letter." The nurse's letter might be the only letter besides the official "regrets".

As the above examples demonstrate, a letter written about a longstanding comrade almost writes itself. Writing about a newbie is difficult ... a formula letter may often result. If the chap in question had a mate / buddy, the letter writer may get some details to personalize the letter. After a large push, July 1916 for example, there probably weren't enough folks left to write, let alone who knew any particulars.

Doc D

Back in the VN era ... we officers had a class in which we were instructed how to write such letters and examples were given to us to keep as templates ...

The Aldershot publishers Gale and Polden used to publish all kinds of guide books for young officers

I believe there was one on official correspondence - it would be interesting to see if it offered a crib on this