Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Essex Regiment 1st Battalion

redbulltony

Am trying to find out what service and battles my great grandad saw and when and where he was captured as a pow. this was never spoke of and i would like to fill this missing piece of history for our family. His name was Frank Gray Lance Corporal 9283 of Essex 1st Battalion.

thanks

• 1 month later...

Good evening

I have just joined the forum to do some further research into my Grand Father's Military career. Now here is the scary bit, his service number was 9855 Essex 1st. I have a reasonable amount of information but there are bits missing. Here is what I know:

Ernest W Staunton

9855 / 67133

PTE in 1915 when landed Galipili

SJT when won Military Medal September 1918

He has the 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medal all to the same service number and listed as the Essex regiment. He also was awarded the Military Medal (and 1 bar), this medal is named and ranked correctly but has a different service number and listed as the 19 / London Regiment (he won it in 1918)

Here is what I do not know:

He was wounded in Galipili, returned to the UK, then transfered back to the Western Front - not sure of that date

The tie up between Essex and 19 London Regiment - dates etc

No documentation in respect of his bar of his MM (what he got it for), we know it is authentic as we have a letter with reference to it

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Steve