Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank Bns in Russia

ForeignGong

Hi All

Can any one tell me which Tank Bns were serving in Russia please???

I am researching a Pte & his very poor service papers (Water Damage & almost unreadable) mention Russia. The only reference to a Tank Bn is the 19th.

I can just make out that he landed in Russia 28 / 7 / 1919 ?????? & that he was one of ten tank members that were awarded a Russian Medal of St George 4th Cl for the Intervention period.

Any info regarding Tanks in Russia, including any books on the subject, will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Peter

Have a look at these notes I have on Cameron Bruce - click for notes - who won a DSO in 1919 for capturing a city in Russia with a British Tank . The city's name was later changed to Stalingrad, and took more than one tank to do the job.

There is a reference there to the men/tanks involved

Thanks Corisande, that is very helpful. Do you know of any other books about the roll of Tanks in the Russian Intervention ????

Considering 10 medals of St Geo were awarded out of the 55 OR's that is pretty impressive.

I still think his papers state 28 / 7 / 1919 as his entry to Russia, so would that make him a Reo & miss the action you have.

Peter

Also in his papers there is a notation of a "civil certificate M. A. R. O. of Bolton" & it is in regards to his posting to the Tank Corp Depot, his occupation was Engine Driver. Anyone have any ideas as to what this is????

Peter try this link - click

It is an extremely well written paper on the Southern Russian intervention

The men, who went to Russia were all volunteers; they were formed into three detachments.

Can you give us his service number and name so we can have a look at the service records - we may be able to help further

Corisande

Many thanks for the notes on Bruce - I read them for interest and found out something of note. I have been looking at a Capt Walsh of the Tank Corps for his winning the DSO near Croisilles - a pretty notable feat in itself -I'll need to check if it's the same chap. Many thanks

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Delta

Thomas Gorman Pte 318066

I have been able to work out the following

Enl 24 / 9 / 17 but was only 17y 11m

Occupation engine driver.

Lived at Ormskirk, anyone know where that isplease???

5 / 11 / 1918 NSMB Liverpool No 2

5 / 11 /1918 ADR Liverpool No 86

6 / 11 / 1918 TDC

8 / 11 / 1918 Posted TC depot ----ham

13 / 11 / 1918 Posted Tank SPS War---

8 / 4 / 1919 trans to 19th T Bn War-ham

As I stated before Civil Certificate M.A.R.O. of Bolton

Home 24 / 9 / 1917

Russia 28 / 7 / 1919

--------- 23 /11 / 1919

Class Z 9 / 2 / 1920

As stated the papers are very poor

Peter

Ormskirk is in West Lancs, not far from Merseyside border. Stick it in google maps and you'll place it exactly

Sidearm.

A regimental comrade of mine is currently working at the site of a tank drivers training course newly discovered within Moreton Bog, Wareham. The latest RTR tank magazine contains the article in question. If you or anyone else has info on the 19th Battalion and applicable to Wareham I would be most grateful to hear more please?

Chris

Gorman is noted on the Russian London Gazette of getting the 4th Class Medal of St George

17tankman

I did not think these awards were gazetted, as I have not been able to find any of the Intervention awards in the London Gazette. Can you please tell me were you found them.

Peter

Thank you every one for your input. I am slowly piecing together the blanks of his service papers.

Peter

Sidearm.

A regimental comrade of mine is currently working at the site of a tank drivers training course newly discovered within Moreton Bog, Wareham. The latest RTR tank magazine contains the article in question. If you or anyone else has info on the 19th Battalion and applicable to Wareham I would be most grateful to hear more please?

Chris

Chris

I'm sorry, I don't have more on 19th Battalion. I looked over the Battalion's War Diary (WO 95/5457) some years ago but found nothing to help me; of course that doesn't mean there would be nothing to help you.

I'd not heard about this recent find. I'm interested and will PM you. One thought that came to mind was that in Michael R. McNorgan's 2009 book "Great War Tanks in Canadian Service" there are two photos of a tank stuck during training at a place called "Devil's Hole". David Fletcher (who doubtless you know) told me that he'd never heard of the place. Could it be the trainee drivers' name for Moreton Bog, I wonder?

Gwyn

Peter

In 'Band of Brigands' by Christy Campbell there are a couple of references to tanks in Russia, on pp 401/2. Published in 2007. I had a copy from the local library.

D

Peter

In 'Band of Brigands' by Christy Campbell there are a couple of references to tanks in Russia, on pp 401/2. Published in 2007. I had a copy from the local library.

D

Thanks Daggers I will see if my library can get it .

Thanks Sidearm. I have forwarded your info onto him. Very much appreciated!

If I draw a response I will pm you.

Best wishes

Chris