Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private W McLellan (McLennan)

draperju

I am keen to find out where this man lived I have access to Amnesty and there is a man of this name living in Ashingtont 1911 Census

CWGC lists Pte 3/704 W McLellan as being with 1st Battalion NF killed on 08/11/14

SDGW lists Pte 704 William McLennan as died 08/11/14

I believe these to be the same man.

SDGW shows that he was born in Jarrow which collaborates with the miner living in Ashington.

Is this man a regular and so did he live in Ashington Northumberland.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Draperju

3/704 would suggest he was 3rd battalion and this suggests that the number would have been issued between Jan 04 and Feb 05 so he would have been a reservist in 1914.

You might be best off editing the title of your post to include Northumberland Fusiliers or send a PM to Graham Stewart for more assistance.

Thank you for your reply Checked Medal card as part of my initial search. Nothing is that easy.

Best wishes Draperju

William McLellan Private 3/704

1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Age 29 who died on 8th November 1914

Born Jarrow 1885

Husband of Margaret McLellan (nee Thompson)

Grave/Memorial Reference. Hagle Dump Cemetery. III. AA. 10

1911 Census

92 ½ Woodhorn Road, Hirst, Ashington, Northumberland

William McLellan age 25 Miner Stoneman below ground at Colliery born Jarrow, Durham

Margaret McLellan (wife) age 22 born Jarrow, Durham

Isabella McLellan (daughter) age 11 months born Hirst, Northumberland

Neil McLellan (brother) age 23 (single) Miner Stoneman below ground at Colliery born Jarrow, Durham

He is commemorated on the triptych in St. Paul’s Church in Jarrow

As:

McLellan W. Pte.

• 10 years later...

Hi I believe this man to be my great grandfather and would love to hear what you .....I have some records,His death medal and a single photograph........

I would appreciate any help as I am planning to go to this grave if I can confirm all of his details

Many thanks

4 hours ago, stu Mundy said:

Hi I believe this man to be my great grandfather

Stu, Welcome to GWF - pleased to have you onboard.

Have you seen his Ministry of Pensions [MoP] pension cards at WFA/Fold3? - I post below in case you haven't.

image.png.0e499e7c81f2de74edb29fa8c66dc892.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Though much is self explanatory but, as is commonly my wont for new members, I offer a little explanation = I hope it makes sense and adds interest for you

DoB 25.10.87 is widow's - since at that date if she had been >/= 35y she would have got an age supplement [to reflect the fact that she would by then probably have had poorer remarriage prospects - but she won't have qualified]

Pension = Typically at this date a widow's pension would normally be 10/- pw and she seems to have received this.  Children's Allowances typically paid to her until they reached 16 when they would have stopped - hence the birth and expiry dates - at 5/-, 3/6 & 3/- pw for them respectively - making a total of 20/6 pw from 27.11.15 

SA = Separation Allowances - continued to be paid for about 6 months after man's death whilst the pension was worked out [actually was usually slightly more than a standard pension - apparently widows could downsize when they became pensioners since they didn't need to have a larger home for a husband to return to!]. That she did not receive a pension until 27.11.15 suggest that at first he was considered missing and confirmation of his death was being clarified.

We can presume he was likely considered 'missing' for a while and then presumed/reported dead - likely may have delayed a pension a bit = so worth a look at the International Committee of the Red Cross [ICRC] Prisoner of War records to see if any PoW enquriy(ies) made https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/3/2/107/0/Anglais et Commonwealth/Militaires - it's a quirky site and searching isn't easy, especially for Mc and Mac - commonly lumped together = wishing you the best of luck!

50F = Form 50F used to transfer from SA to pension

DEAD 1931 = claim was dead. The youngest child had reached 16 by then but it is not clear why is widow did not continue a claim - just stopped [unusual], remarried or dead???  You may perhaps know better.  The mention of a Gratuity does perhaps suggest remarriage ?? - prior to 1/4/17 would have been a lump sum Gratuity worth two years' pension and after then a Bounty of one year's pension.  Unusual not to record a possible remarried name but these cards were not the whole show - there were ledgers and awards files too but these have mostly been deliberately destroyed after their use was ended.

There is also this further linked card for her claim/case no 276

image.png.8f0b5b86828a59aea70d6d383bc3a47c.png

Shows his widow's address as 3 Second Row, Choppington Colliery, Northumberland - a web search will bring up plenty of info including an interesting photo of the colliery housing  in Third Row https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-derelict-housing-in-an-area-of-third-row-choppington-colliery-20472464.html 

Potentially worth having a look at the British Newspaper Archive and/or Find My Past to see if there was a public report or family announcement of his death - possibly with a photo ?? = Your photo would be of interest for us here at GWF - Always good to add a face to a name.

I hope of value to you.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Further considering the matter of a potential widow's remarriage made me have a further look at the pension cards and I turned up this one too

image.png.4815ac598ab86758c191acd7518c503b.png

Interesting that the Isle of Wight Issue Office (Widows') [see correction provided below] commonly, and very usefully,  produced such cards and we can now also see Joe TURNBULL, 104928, Durham Light Infantry as a new husband/step-father.

Remarriage appears to be [see FreeBMD] - which would seem to have resulted in the 2.7.19 entry on the first/red pension card above. 

Marriages Jun 1919
McLellan  Margaret  Turnbull  Morpeth  10b 1129  

Turnbull  Joseph  McLellan  Morpeth  10b 1129

M

Edited by Matlock1418
strike and correct

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Interesting that the Isle of Wight commonly, and very usefully,  produced such cards and we can now also see Joe TURNBULL, 104928, Durham Light Infantry as a new husband/step-father.

IOW in this context is Issue Office (Widow).

Craig

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

IOW in this context is Issue Office (Widow).

Well I never! :doh: - that has put me right/corrected a puzzling longstanding miscomprehension of mine -  was long wondering why the Isle of Wight was so singular in producing such cards . Thank you - appreciated.

M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Well I never! :doh: - that has put me right/corrected a puzzling longstanding miscomprehension of mine -  was long wondering why the Isle of Wight was so singular in producing such cards . Thank you - appreciated.

M

Every day's a learning day, so they say !

I suspect that these cards were possibly part of a separate range that was merged into the single run (as many other subgroups of cards seem to have been).

Craig

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

Every day's a learning day, so they say !

Quite! Much appreciated.

M