Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

ChrisC

I'm sure someone will be able to tell me if this badge is correct for the Great War.

Thanks

Chris

post-3633-0-14534900-1351880947_thumb.jppost-3633-0-35152200-1351880959_thumb.jp

I'm sure someone will be able to tell me if this badge is correct for the Great War.

Thanks

Chris

post-3633-0-14534900-1351880947_thumb.jppost-3633-0-35152200-1351880959_thumb.jp

It's the Queen Victoria Crown and the badge that would have been worn in the early stages of the Boer War, although some old soldiers might have retained it in WW1, even though the new pattern with an Imperial crown was issued after 1901.

Very many thanks to Old Owl & Frogsmile

C

C

C

The badge has been 'brooched', which was common when intended for wear by sweethearts but it also became a popular alteration to some Scottish badges as it facilitated swift transfer of a single badge between different headwear such as glengarry caps and tam-o-shanters etc.

One thing though, why does the elephant & bugle on this badge face the oppiste way to all the other images I've seen on t'web? :wacko:

C

One thing though, why does the elephant & bugle on this badge face the oppiste way to all the other images I've seen on t'web? :wacko:

C

You did not specify the size of the badge Chris but it means that it is a collar badge and one of a pair, which also indicates that as a smaller badge the brooching was almost certainly for a woman as a sweetheart keepsake. This was especially common for the more decorative collar badges such as this one for the HLI.

C

The pictured badge appears to be a left-side collar badge. In the HLI, the bell-mouth of the bugle points to the rear.

Ah, thanks Frogsmile & Gordon92.

Now I know that badge has been about ever since I remember. I wonder if it came down from my Great Grandad or his brother?

C

The pictured badge appears to be a left-side collar badge. In the HLI, the bell-mouth of the bugle points to the rear.

Yes I am sory that I did not make that more clear in my reply. Most collar badges when bearing a complex device are not identical in their posture and have a reversed image as matched pairs.

Yes I am sory that I did not make that more clear in my reply. Most collar badges when bearing a complex device are not identical in their posture and have a reversed image as matched pairs.

The same can be said of the shoulder titles worn by Light Infantry regiments. Without checking the specifics of each regiment, most wore the bell-mouth of the bugle facing to the rear. However, the Durham Light Infantry constitutes at least one exception as the bugle mouth of that regiment points to the front on shoulder titles.