Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service Record

pete-c

F5279 Sylvester L Cowlan. Served all his time in the Aegean Theatre July 1915 to December 1917, on Ark Royal, and also Empress, as an Air Mechanic. He was believed to have also served a period of time on Thassos, c1916/17.

In the remarks column on his record there are two groups of stamps marked: FOR SERVICE IN LAND OPERATIONS See ... and then a series of numbers starting with: NP2989/17 (S1117). There are seven numbers in total, all prefixed with NP, up to the time of his promotion to Leading Mechanic in August 1917.

Then a second block of numbers, again prefixed with NP, ending with what appears to be his transfer to President II in Dec 1917. I have no details of his whereabouts from that time until he returned to the UK and the start of his RAF service on April 1st,1918. Could he possibly have spent time in Port Said or Suda Bay ?

I am guessing that NP means Naval Papers ? I did ask at Yeovilton a while back but they couldn't shed any light on this. I suppose Kew would be my best bet, but i am just wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

Any ideas anyone ?

F5279 Sylvester L Cowlan. Served all his time in the Aegean Theatre July 1915 to December 1917, on Ark Royal, and also Empress, as an Air Mechanic. He was believed to have also served a period of time on Thassos, c1916/17.

In the remarks column on his record there are two groups of stamps marked: FOR SERVICE IN LAND OPERATIONS See ... and then a series of numbers starting with: NP2989/17 (S1117). There are seven numbers in total, all prefixed with NP, up to the time of his promotion to Leading Mechanic in August 1917.

Then a second block of numbers, again prefixed with NP, ending with what appears to be his transfer to President II in Dec 1917. I have no details of his whereabouts from that time until he returned to the UK and the start of his RAF service on April 1st,1918. Could he possibly have spent time in Port Said or Suda Bay ?

I am guessing that NP means Naval Papers ? I did ask at Yeovilton a while back but they couldn't shed any light on this. I suppose Kew would be my best bet, but i am just wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

Any ideas anyone ?

NP - Naval Party

When ever the RN put a detachment ashore for a period it is entitled NP with a number i.e - NP1002 (Diego Garcia) or NP2010 (Falklands Islands.)

This works with either temporary or permament detachments - not to confused with "stone frigates" or shore estblishments which are prefixed with "HMS"

Thanks for that Doc. Is there some way for me to find out which location matches with the numbers i have ?