Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Allocation

melliff

Does anyone know what was the procedure after the war for servicemen to acquire their medals? Did they have to apply for them or were they notified of what they were entitled to receive automatically. And were the medals posted to them or did they collect them? And most importantly, does the paperwork covering the procedure still exist anywhere?

I ask because I suspect that my grandfather served in the war under a different name to his own. He had a set of medals in his possession when he died in 1962 and if I could find his address when he acquired them it may help to confirm my suspicions. The service records don't help and the medal card from the National Archives does not have information about when the medals were acquired.

Martin.

The medals were sent automatically by post to the "other ranks" or their next of kin in they had not survived. If the men was still serving (that is, he was a regular or had re-enlisted) it might be hand delivered to him. Officers or their NOK had to claim theirs. Signed receipts are often seen in the men's service records. In most cases the Stars were sent in 1919 and the British War and Victory Medals in 1921-22.

Naval personnel (or survivors) had to claim their campaign medals. They were not sent without claim. This obviated the need to prepare named medals before a claim was made.

Here is an interesting and informative article that you might want to read:-

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvice/knowledge-base/overseas-military/royal-naval-medal-roll.jsp