Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salford pals?

cfraser

My friend Jackie Waters was good enough to send me some photos from her Gr. Uncle Alf's collection. I am looking for a photo of his friend George Ingham, who was my Gr. Uncle and who served in 3rd Salford in 1916 . This shot of some Lancs. Fusiliers was among Alf's photos and I am wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess at whether the shoulder titles, which are barely visible, look right for Salford Pals. Or are they more like a TA battalion? Perhaps the leather belts are a clue too? No indication on the photo as to time or place sadly.

Colin

post-85533-0-24067200-1351855924_thumb.j

The cap badge looks like Lancashire Fusiliers to me - see:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/lancashire_fusiliers.htm

According to Michael Stedman's book ["Salford Pals"] the 3rd Salford Battalion was at the Fusiliers' training camp at Conway in March 1915 and then at Catterick in June and July 1915, Ponterland 29th July - 5th August and then Codford until 20th November 1915 - then France.

Dave Swarbrick

The leather belts (Patt 1914) are typical for Pals battalions and less often seen on Territorials. The wooden huts are of the type used at Codford too, although they were also used elsewhere so one cannot be definitive.

There are very similiar photos of wooden huts shown with the 1st Pals in Stedman's book that are labelled as Codford (see p.76 of the edition called "The Somme 1916 & Other Experiences of the Salford Pals"). So the circumstantial evidence of this being a shot of Salford Pals may be mounting - i.e. LF cap badge + leather equipment + Codford-like wood buildings.

Any views on the shoulder titles? I have attached a Salford Pals title for comparison.

My Gr. Uncle was not a day 1 member of 3rd pals given his number (25262). I expect he joined late 1915. From a rveeiw of simialr numbers for the LFs from Ancestry's records, I would estimate he joined the 3rd battalion around late summer to early fall 1915.

Thanks for the valuable help so far.

Colin

post-85533-0-30244400-1351884932_thumb.j

The nominal rolls for the initial 1915 intake published at the back of Stedman's book have a number range of 18000 - 21000 for members of the 3rd Salford - the numbers go up to the 22000+ for the 4th Salford, so you are almost certainly right in thinking late 1915 - early 1916 for your man.

Dave Swarbrick

• 2 months later...

My Great Uncle. Pte J Burton was in 12 Platoon, D Company 15th Battalion (Salford Pals) Lancashire Fusiliers KIA 1st July 1916 Battle of the Somme.