Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BWM filed down on obverse & reverse

sutton-in-craven

Robert Seymour was a 19 year old spinner from Preston when he enlisted into the Loyal North Lancs 4/9/1914. He transferred to the RE, and seems to have survived.

Piper A Thompson will be a trickier proposition. Is the reverse blank?

I suppose pawn shops would have been brimming with unclaimed war medals after the war? It would be nice to make some sort of connection, even if only geographical.

Something I did notice is that all 3 Stars are blank at the rear so un-issued, as there's no mention of names on the Defence and War medals, I'd guess they're un-issued too, or possibly all 5 are replicas.

Sam

Of course Piper A. Thompson may not have been a member of any battalion. Had a quick look and there are over 16 thousand of them listed on Ancestry's MIC list.

:blink: In all the years I've been collecting I've never seen anything like this before:

A WW1 British War Medal (on eBay) that has been filed down obverse & reverse and engraved with another name, but yet the original naming of the recipient on the rim hasn't been touched.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25771ed039

Hi Andrew,

This is most unusual, but I suppose that a BWM is a good basis for making such a medallion. The suspender will have been removed and the disc placed into a lathe and then each side of the disc within the rim faced-off flat and then the suspender re-pinned. The rather uneven surface under the engraving is due to the tool in the lathe not being fed at a slow enough rate, or not being sharp enough--I suspect!!

The naming in the rim cannot be easily removed on a lathe due to the jaws of the chuck being clamped onto the outside of the rim.

Regards, Robert

Maybe someone could ask the Accrington Pipe Band about him? Founded in 1885 and still going strong...

http://accringtonpipeband.org.uk

There is a Piper Sandy Thompson 1950s mentioned on their website in the History section which may fit.

Have sent them an e-mail.

Rgds

Tim D

Sorry, but can I spoil the party a bit?

I think it was a disgusting thing to do - compounded by leaving the original recipients name on the rim.

Even with my basic schooltime metalwork skills that name could easily have been removed with a file, it is made of silver after all and pretty soft - emery cloth may have even done the job!

Why anyone would want to wear it with someone elses name on it is beyond me.

Rant over, BillyH.

Sure BillyH, mutilating a named war medal is one thing. However I personally would be LIVID if I received a butchered medal re-engraved to me that belonged to somebody else from WW1 (still with his name on the rim), whether it was for 15 years efficient piping service or anything else. In fact I'd sure I'd throw it out of the window at the first opportunity.

I would sooner receive a pet-tag medallion from the local pet shop with my name on it than the medal in question!

Have e-mailed the Drum Corporal listed on the website. He is going to ask around amongst the members.

Rgds

Tim D

Interesting modern reactions to an action that obviously wasn't of great concern to a previous generation.

Sure BillyH, mutilating a named war medal is one thing. However I personally would be LIVID if I received a butchered medal re-engraved to me that belonged to somebody else from WW1 (still with his name on the rim), whether it was for 15 years efficient piping service or anything else. In fact I'd sure I'd throw it out of the window at the first opportunity.

I would sooner receive a pet-tag medallion from the local pet shop with my name on it than the medal in question!

Of course it is possible that the recipient was responsible for the defacing of the BWM, ie he made it himself, using the original enamel medallion/fob, to match in with his other medals!!??

Actually you're probably right Robert. I can't see an official body issuing this medal, so logically speaking the recipient must have made it and awarded it to himself!

Although it does say "Presented to".

I'd like to think that he didn't obtain an old medal, make the new award, and then present it to himself!