The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Dominick O'Neill

Ian C

Hi

I was asked by a friend to see what I could find out about this chap for one of his work colleagues.

As you will see I found his MIC, but, its a bit short on detail. James was KIA on 24.08.16 and is remembered at Thiepval, so clearly should have had at least the BWM & VM. This would suggest to me that there must be another MIC for him, but wouldn't these normally be cross referenced? There is nothing on the back of the MIC.

Any ideas?

Regards

IanC

post-366-0-54954500-1351698601_thumb.jpg

Born 17 Aug 1876 in Dublin. Son of John O'Neill and Maria Hearn

And probably therefore him in 1901 census - a law student - click for census

Second Lieutenant James D O’Neill, Royal Munster Fusiliers, killed in action, was the seventh son of the late Mr and Mrs O’Neill, of Summerville House, Upper Rathmines, and brother of Mr C P O’Neill, Solr., and Chairman of the Pembroke Council.

Cheers.

Tom.

And you can get his file at TNA WO 339/50390

And my guess would be that he did a law degree at TCD, where you could dig for more

Officers or next of kin had to apply for medals so perhaps there was no application made and therefore no medals issued.

John

Was he commissioned from the ranks ?, I've seen cases where the man has a card with the medals on whilst he was still an O.R and a separate card for being an officer but with no medals listed.

Hi All

He is not listed on TCD war memorial nor does his name appear in the Trinity College War List as either attending TCD or as a member of the OTC. He does however get a mention in the regimental history but only in so far as his name is listed along with other officers killed in August 1916.

Regards, Tommy.

• 10 years later...

If it is any help to you I believe he is mentioned in the LG 10/12/1915 under the heading ‘The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants (on probation). Dated 14th December, 1915, unless otherwise stated.’ (p. 12428)

James O’Neill, Royal Munster Fusiliers (p. 12429)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29401/supplement/12429