Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RESEARCH TOOLS

chris basey

I need advice about the usefulness and ease of use of hand-held scanners. Two potential projects would require a lot of copying from local newspapers - photos are ok as I can use digital camera - but I'm not enthusiastic about a lot of copying that then has to be transcribed,

Has anyone got experience of this technology, and can advise on equipment, or should I be looking at some other method? May I please have the benefit of your experience. Many thanks.

Chris Basey

Might also be worth speaking to the archives you propose to use to check they will allow you to do this. I suspect somewhere like the newspaper library at Colindale wouldn't allow it; nor the PRO. Their fear will be damage to the item you are scanning. Not trying to put you off, but no point spending money on kit no-one will let you use!

Yes, I've been using my digital camera at the local library to take images from the newspaper. However, the last time I visited I was asked (told) not to use it as there had been a change of rules. They were happy to make copies for me at 50p a time though !

I'm considering writing to the newspaper and asking their permission to take photos for research.

Its worth checking before you use your scanner

Michael

Chris

I purchased a C-pen scanner last year and to be honest although I have

found it to be of benefit in some instances, OCR is is not 100% reliable, especially with strange characters or symbols.

The C-pen does allow you to correct the text manually but I have found that in reference libraries where you are permitted to use it, it is probably quicker to write it out by hand, particularly when time is pressing.

Regards

Geoff

Many thanks for comments and suggestions.

I think I shall be hanging on to my money and sharpening up plenty of pencils!

Thanks again.

Chris Basey