Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify cap badges please?

Susan Tall

I need some help please. I'm pretty confident the man in these two photos is the same person and I'm nearly 90% certain I know who he is, but one cap badge in particular is puzzling me. The one with the Maltese cross - where is the crown on top of it and just what regiment is it?

Before I say who I think he is and what regiments he was in I'll see what you all think. Thanks in advance.

Sue

PS Will post photos in this message and the next one.

Second photo

post-18847-0-58909800-1351509255_thumb.j

post-18847-0-51225300-1351509396_thumb.j

First badge is the 6th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment who wore a unique badge and second is the East Surrey Regiment.

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Sue,

The badge in the first photo is that of the 6th(T)Bn.The East Surrey Regt. This badge has no crown as shown in the photo.

The second photo is that of The East Surrey Regt. Both badges were worn by the 6th Bn.

Robert

Thanks so much for your quick replies. This all adds up to what I know.

I'm now convinced that both photos of are Harvey Weatherilt kia 7th October 1916, commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.

Commonwealth War Graves gives him as Pte 353383 with the 1st/7th Bn, London Regiment and the Medal Card gives 7 London Regiment 7058 and 353385,

but the SDGW information says he was formerly 2900, 2/6Th East Surrey Regiment which now makes sense.

Do you think the photo with the badge without the crown was taken before the other one? - he certainly looks younger in that one.

Sue

Thanks so much for your quick replies. This all adds up to what I know.

I'm now convinced that both photos of are Harvey Weatherilt kia 7th October 1916, commemorated on Thiepval Memorial.

Commonwealth War Graves gives him as Pte 353383 with the 1st/7th Bn, London Regiment and the Medal Card gives 7 London Regiment 7058 and 353385,

but the SDGW information says he was formerly 2900, 2/6Th East Surrey Regiment which now makes sense.

Do you think the photo with the badge without the crown was taken before the other one? - he certainly looks younger in that one.

Sue

Hello Sue, yes the badge without crown was the earlier badge. It was supplied by the TF association from 1908-15. After that the issued badges were standard ESurreys.

You can see the badge in wear at this flickr link on a TF camp before the war: http://www.flickr.co...tream/lightbox/

Before 1908 the 6th had been a Rifle Volunteer battalion and like many when they were absorbed by the ESurreys they opted to retain a unique cap badge and black buttons. A later CO disliked the badge and requested permission to wear the same as the parent regiment, but after the war the badge was blackened for a while and worn again with black buttons.

post-599-0-96979600-1351533661_thumb.jpg

Thanks Frogsmile, I'd never come across that cap badge before. That's really interesting.

Knew I could count on people on this forum helping me out!

Sue