Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information of soldiers from a local war memorial

2li

Hi

I have been researching a local war memorial in my area of Castlefields Shrewsbury, and have found several of the fallen to have no direct link to the area, does any of our members have anything on these soldiers, I have the usal Soldiers Died and C.W.W.G.C. information but would love to find an obituary or photograph of any from the list of names below

many thanks Philip

Cpl, Charles Thomas Drew, 10300, 7th SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGT, killed-in-Action France and Flanders 28/09/16, Born Wolverhampton, enlisted Wolverhampton.

Buried (REGINA TRENCH CEMETERY) Grandcourt, France, IX. H. II. Age 25,

Private, Thomas Groom, 54555, 24th ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS, Denbighshire Yeomanry) killed-in-Action France and Flanders 28/06/18, Born Wrexham, enlisted Wem, Shropshire; Son of George and Mary Groom; Husband of Sarah Griffiths (formerly Groom) of 77, Church St., Rhoseyllen, Wrexham, Denbighshire.

No known Grave, (PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL) Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium, Panel 5. Age 27,

Private, William Albert Smith, 124045, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS, Died at sea 26/02/18, Born Shrewsbury, enlisted Shrewsbury; son of Mrs. Smith, of 91, Stockwell Rd. Chadderton, Oldham,

No known Grave, (HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL) Southampton, Age

Private, Alfred Rowland Thomas, G/25069, 11th ROYAL WEST SURREY REGT, (formerly 242265, East Kent Regt) killed-in-Action France and Flanders 23/03/18, Born Shrewsbury, enlisted Canterbury, Kent; Son of Alfred and Jane Elizabeth Thomas,

No known Grave, (ARRAS MEMORIAL) Pas de Calais, France, Bay 2. Age 20,

Private, Joseph Wall, 3889, 2nd LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS, Died-of-Wounds France and Flanders 10/07/16, Born Shrewsbury, enlisted Oldham, Lancashire, Brother of Mr. Richard Wall,

Buried (ST. POL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION) Pas de Calais, France, B. 9. Age 21,

When you say they have no direct link with the local area, how precise are you being ?

I'm noting that. of the five, three of them were born in the town and another enlisted not far away in Wem.

With regard to Drew, Google turns up a 2001 enquiry from someone who reckons he was their grandfather. Connection still seems to be Wolverhampton.

He is also mentioned on the Roll of Honour site as being a Shrewsbury resident. And the 1911 census has him and his family still living in Wolverhampton so presumably he must have moved in the intervening years

John thanks for reply,My main reason for inquiring was I would like to find out some more on the soldiers in the list,

ie obits if possible, I have noticed the Drew connection and tried to contact but nothing come back, as for the others nothing at all is found in local archive.

PHIL

When you say they have no direct link with the local area, how precise are you being ?

I'm noting that. of the five, three of them were born in the town and another enlisted not far away in Wem.

Thomas Groom has a CWGC address in Castlefields

"

Son of George and Mary Groom, of 2, Beaumont Terrace, John's St., Castlefields, Shrewsbury; husband of Sarah Griffiths (formerly Groom), of 77, Church St., Rhoseyllen, Wrexham, Denbighshire.

"

His brother Henry Groom was S4/220569 in ASC

Hywyn

Don't forget, it would be the surviving relatives who put the soldier's name forward for a memorial. It is possible for a solider, with no link himself, to appear on a memorial if his family are living in the area. For example, I have a man who always lived in Reading listed on the Ascot memorial as his married sister lived in the town.

Andrewr

cheers Andrewr

good point, not thought of that, I am sure its the same all over the land. Thats why you allways come across a name on a memorial who just seems not wanting to be traced, thats where the research comes in, a lot of people are pointing me in the right direction.

cheers PHIL

i researched a man from Durham no direct link to Coventry, found out this week his relatives ran a cycle firm in Coventry and than employed relatives. Presto...

I have an officer named on a memorial in a Birmingham suburb who was a Lusitania survivor with his wife and can find no connection whatsover in the suburb let alone the whole of central England.