Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Patches - Wiltshire Regiment

mac

I am trying to establish what if any battle patches were used by the following Wiltshire Regiment Battalions in the First World War.

1st Battalion who served in 7th Brigade of the 25th Division.

2nd Battalion who served in the 21st Brigade of the 30th Division.

I am alright on the Divisional badges, its the Brigade ones that beat me at the moment.

If any one can assist I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

MAC

Mac

The 1st Battalion wore a red bar to indicate 7th Brigade above the horseshoe Divisional sign on the back of the jacket. I am not aware of any sign to indicate battalion.

The 2nd Battalion wore buff rectangles horizontally on both sleeves just below the shoulder seam as a Battalion i/d. A buff rectangle was painted on the left side of steel helmets. This was introduced in 1916 but was not used when helmet covers were worn. The battalion runners wore a red 2 1/2 inch wide patch on the shoulder straps under their brass shoulder titles and signallers wore a similar patch of blue..

Mike

Mike

Many many thanks for that, I can now crack on. Once again shows the great depth of knowledge on this site.

Cheers

MAC

The 2nd Battalion wore buff rectangles horizontally on both sleeves just below the shoulder seam as a Battalion i/d. A buff rectangle was painted on the left side of steel helmets. This was introduced in 1916 but was not used when helmet covers were worn. The battalion runners wore a red 2 1/2 inch wide patch on the shoulder straps under their brass shoulder titles and signallers wore a similar patch of blue..

Mike

Hello Mike, thanks for these information about the 2nd Wilts. May I ask you what is your documentation source ? Do you know if this buff patch was always worn when the 2nd Wilts went to the 19th Division in April 1918 ?

Regards

Florent

Florent

The information came from the Questionnaires on Uniform held in the IWM Department of Printed books. These were completed for the Museum by units in 1919 - 20. There was no mention of a change when the battalion moved to 19th Div although the units in the 58th Brigade had all been wearing green patches with yellow edges in various geometric shapes. The questionnaires are very informative in some respects but you can never be absolutely sure that the person completing them included every last .detail.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I am wondering like you if the 2nd Wilts, which arrived in 19th Div in April/May 1918, take the patch of the 6th Wilts ( the 2nd replaced the 6th on the 58th Brigade) or does keep its own (buff) patch.

I guess we can keep the second option without other proof.

Thanks again

Florent