Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Sign Up in Glasgow No.2 Depot

Swally

Hi,

I am pretty sure that my Granda Robert Allan, Gunner 31660 signed up in Glasgow No. 2 Depot for the RFA.

He was from Aberdeen and I have been told that there were possibly only 4 Depots in the UK for this.

Would anyone know where the depot was or even better have a photograph?

From the Long Long Trail - Home based artillery.

There were 6 depots

Royal Field Artillery No 1 Depot Newcastle upon Tyne No 2 Depot Preston No 3 Depot Hilsea No 4 Depot Woolwich No 5 Depot Athlone No 6 Depot Glasgow

This is confirmed by the army List for 1914

post-46676-0-72537800-1351336655_thumb.j

It would not be the norm to enlist at a depot. These were basic training establishments to which recruits were sent after completing enlistment locally.

It would not be the norm to enlist at a depot. These were basic training establishments to which recruits were sent after completing enlistment locally.

Hi Chris, information from others have told me that my Granda would have enlisted at Glasgow around 1903, then possibly 6 & 6 as he was with the BEF on the 23rd August 1914 in France. Sadly his service record appears to have been burned so I was trying to establish a bit of history from his pre-war service. He was originally from Aberdeen so I thought he would have enlisted there? It may have been that he was in Glasgow looking for work, he was only 18 in 1903. From Glasgow he would have been sent to Woolwich and he then served in County Kildare.

Thanks,

Ani idea what the address for the Depot in Glasgow would have been or even better a picture??

Ta,

Swally

This post would suggest it was Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow.

In 1903 there were 7 RFA Depots and No 2 Depot was indeed in Glasgow at that date. [1 - Woolwich; 2- Glasgow; 3 - Weedon; 4- Newport; 5- Clonmel; 6-Seaforth; 7-Preston].

In 1903 there were 7 RFA Depots and No 2 Depot was indeed in Glasgow at that date. [1 - Woolwich; 2- Glasgow; 3 - Weedon; 4- Newport; 5- Clonmel; 6-Seaforth; 7-Preston].

Cheers Battiscombe, have you any idea where abouts in Glasgow?? was it Maryhill like th eother poster suggests?

Ta,

Swally

• 2 years later...

In 1911 RFA 2 depot was indeed in Athlone. commanded by Major Henning. the depots were moved around and renumbered several times in early 20th century. irish census does list those at 2 Depot in spring 1911