Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Toogood, Durham L. I.

kenmorrison

George Toogood, Durham L.I. is listed the War Memorial in Gatehouse-of-Fleet, Kirkcudbrightshire (now Dumfries & Galloway)

The memorial covers the parishes of Anwoth and of Girthon - so the possibility of transcription errors is high.

I cannot find this man anywhere, not in local newspapers, not in war-time or post war deaths, not on census.

I've checked the George Toogood deaths on CWGC and I'm fairly sure that he's not one of them but..............

Help, please.

There is a George Thorogood, Durham L.I., killed in action 1st October 1916.

Also, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists a death for a George Thorogood in 1915.

His MIC shows 6/7196.

7180 volunteered on 9 December 1915 as a Derby Scheme man

7220 volunteered on 10 December 1915 as a Derby Scheme man

His MIC shows 6/7196.

7180 volunteered on 9 December 1915 as a Derby Scheme man

7220 volunteered on 10 December 1915 as a Derby Scheme man

Can't see any link between this man (Thorogood) and Gatehouse or am I missing something?

Strangely he's not listed on the Scottish National War Memorial.

Sam

Sam - the SNWM database was extracted, mainly, from SDGW and none of the Toogoods listed there (whether "George" or not) show a link to Scotland.

Maybe a kind person could check enlistment places????

Ken

Can't see any link between this man (Thorogood) and Gatehouse or am I missing something?

The surrounding numbers give an idea when Thorogood enlisted - the men either side were all derby scheme volunteers who enlisted on 9th/10th Dec 1915 so you can be 99% certain he enlisted as a derby scheme man on either 9th or 10th December 1915 -when he was actually called up is a different matter.

The surrounding numbers give an idea when Thorogood enlisted - the men either side were all derby scheme volunteers who enlisted on 9th/10th Dec 1915 so you can be 99% certain he enlisted as a derby scheme man on either 9th or 10th December 1915 -when he was actually called up is a different matter.

Yes, I get that, but how does it help regarding Toogood?