The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

badge help needed please

Kate Wills

Any thoughts on this chap please?

post-77-0-18065800-1351188271_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim and Eddie.

Edited by Kate Wills

Major, showing MC ribbon and also ribbons for 1914 or 14/15 Star, BWM and Victory. Taken 1919 onwards?

TT

What distinguishes it as being taken 1919 onwards TT?

Trio ribbons not issued till after 1918. I think the earliest issue of BWM and Victory ribbons was in 1919? Will consult me book! 1914 /15 ribbon earlier in war...1917 onwards?

Regards

TT

The first medal appears to be the 1911 Coronation or 1911 Delhi Durbar rather than the MC? The last ribbon of the four could be a KSA? so looking at the cuff rank then I would say that this photo was taken very early in WW1 or even prior to WW1, possibly. The medals could be 1911 Coronation, IGS?, QSA, KSA.

Robert

Now that puts me back on track.

Excuse me for hedging my bets, but I'm trying to identify this chap with a friend, who has a copy of the book this was published in 1916. We have an idea of who he might be, but as luck would have it there is no-one who fits the bill in the RSR.

Hi Kate,

If you can provide a surname I can check and see if I can confirm that it is him (who you think he is?) from Army Lists and Officers Services--possibly!!

Robert

If book published in 1916 then my comments are incorrect. B and W images make things like ribbonns hard to interpret / ID but the 1916 date means Old Owl would be correct. No sign of overseas chevrons either support Owl! Dont however assume cuff rank was early WW1. Used throughout and even after 1918 especially by Territorial units.

Regards and sorry for red herring!!

TT

No problem at all TT.

I'm being deliberately cautious as there are so many inconsistencies in this tale that I don't want to cloud it with details. The 1916 publication date is about the only thing that seems genuine. However, I was pleased about the Sussex connection as the families involved seemed to live in Brighton for a while.

I'd be grateful f you could give me a brief tour of his medal ribbons. I take it the MC is the white one with two close stripes.

I'd be grateful f you could give me a brief tour of his medal ribbons. I take it the MC is the white one with two close stripes.

Hi Kate,

As previously: 1911 Coronation or 1911 Delhi Durbar, IGS?, QSA and KSA. There is no MC ribbon here.

Do you have a surname or clue as to who this officer may be?

Robert

P.S. Send me a PM with details if it is too sensitive to post. :thumbsup:

Initial research pointed to a chap called George Gillies as the likeliest suspect, but there's no suitable mic, and GG was born in 1889, so too young for the Boer War.

I regret that I am going to be distaff on this one - and on review agreeing with Robert. The picture was taken pre-War as the first ribbon is the 1911 Coronation Medal. These ribbons were worn up front as they were considered direct awards from the Sovereign, nothing in front of them except the VC until 1915 - need to check exact date.

Yes, Royal Sussex. In WW2, my father said the most beautiful officers' badge he ever saw was the Royal Sussex, a '3D' Rousillon plume in silver and enamels as it appears here, 30 years before.

Interesting...as far as Majors go...

There is a FG Gilles from the Indian Army (33rd Cavalry) who has 2 x MICs.

There is a Allan Merreflees Gillies of the Army Printing and Stationary Services.

Rgds

Tim D

It is of course possible that this officer had retired prior to WW1, ie. between 1911 and 1914, so he would not appear in my Oct 1914 Army List or any thereafter. I also checked the book on Boer War Officer's Services, but sadly no officer fits the bill at least not with the names given.

If anyone has access to a 1911 or 1912 A.L. then this may throw up some possibilities?

I have to admit that he looks very comfotable in his uniform and as such may be genuine rather than an impostor.

My money is on it being a wartime photo. I don't think he'd have got away with the soft cap before 1914.

• Admin

I regret that I am going to be distaff on this one - and on review agreeing with Robert. The picture was taken pre-War as the first ribbon is the 1911 Coronation Medal. These ribbons were worn up front as they were considered direct awards from the Sovereign, nothing in front of them except the VC until 1915 - need to check exact date.

Yes, Royal Sussex. In WW2, my father said the most beautiful officers' badge he ever saw was the Royal Sussex, a '3D' Rousillon plume in silver and enamels as it appears here, 30 years before.

The 1911 Coronation Roll I've seen states only 5 men per regiment of cavalry or battalion of infantry were awarded it. Here is the list I have for Royal Sussex

2nd Battalion

Lt Col Montresor, E H

Capt Williet, F W B

Lt&QrMR Jones, T A

2946 Sgt Maj Cleare, W

3233 Pte Maslen, A

3rd Battalion

Col Clarke, S R (C.B.)

Lt Beynon, L St P

Lt&QrMr Eastick, A

8352 Sgt Russell, J J

8039 Pte Johns, F

4th Battalion

2/Lt Mostyn, J E H

184 Col Sgt Cullen, H W

217 L/Cpl Banfield, J

5th Battalion

Lt Carter, J S

Maj&QrMr Teed, E

99 Sgt Whiteman, B

320 Pte Henley, W

1st Battalion were in India and got the 1911 Delhi Durbar. The officers there were: Lt Col C L Macnab, Major A E Glasgow, CApt R M Birkett, Hony Capt and QrMr C Gilpin, Capt S de V A Julius.

I hope that doesn't confuse things.

Glen

I'm liking Willett so far.

Boer War window

Rgds

Tim D

I'm 99% certain he is not Lt Col Montresor, E H (2nd RSR) and agree with Tim D that it's maybe Willett. Not 5th Bn as capbadge different (only one of RSR Bns to have a different capbadge, based on Maltese Cross and Cinque Ports emblem). What is the book concerned about Kate, if you don't mind me asking? Aubers Ridge or Loos?

Jim