Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MILITARY HISTORY DEGREES

HERITAGE PLUS

Has any forum member knowledge of any Undergraduate Degrees/Diplomas in Military History that can be taken by a part-tme /distance learning method?

I would like to put some newly aquired spare time to good use - any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can recommend the Military Studies MA at Chester College (University of Liverpool degree). Its part-time, and there are guys attending from as far away as Catterick and Gloucester attending. Have a look at MA Mil Studies Chester

Dr John Bourne's Centre for First World War Studies at Birmingham University is hoping to start an MA in First World War studies, but no details as yet.

E-mail me if you have questions.

Heritage

The 'Winter 2002-2003' edition of "The Gallipolian" ran a plug for the University of Birmingham's courses describing them thus

"Attendance requirements are convenient....nine Saturday day schools and a week's summer school every year.

The programme of study draws on the expertise of lecturers from the armed forces, RMA Sandhurst and RMCS Shrivenham together with contributions from the University itself and other institutions.

For further info contact Toby McLeod, Programme Organiser for War Studies, The University of Birmingham, Weoley Park Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6LL.

tel: 0121 414 3413

e-mail: centre-for-lifelong-learning@bham.ac.uk

or visit the web site at www.CLL.bham.ac.uk

Hope that this helps

Regards

Michael D.R.

If you dont find a 100% military history course you could always try the OU - they used to run a very good 3 yr grade course on Modern History that covered 1914 - 1955 that involved social aspects of both world wars. It was A318 but I am sure it has reinvented itself under a different course number. The great thing about it was the Summer School ....

Also you could try looking in magazines such as BBC History for what is advertised. Open/Distance learning has really taken off in recent yrs and possibly colleges/universities will offer short courses after the summer term has ended that will be more military orientated. I think the National Maritime Museum has run some specifis Naval Action courses so might be worth looking at the large museums websites.

Putting my Admissions Officer's hat on for a moment (!), the best way of searching for options would be for you to have a look at the UCAS website. UCAS for those who don't know is the University and Colleges Admissions Service. The website URL is: http://www.ucas.ac.uk

There is a searchable database of courses that can be filtered either by subject area and/or geographical location. Although only full-time undergraduate courses are listed, it is likely that the institutions who run these also offer part-time routes as well so it is worth a look.

Sadly, where I work (Birmingham College of Food), we don't offer anything in this area yet, but perhaps an HND in Combat Catering might be on the cards soon!!!

All

Thank- you to all who have responded on and off forum. I now have some very useful leads to take forward.

Andrew

Your HND in Combat Catering could be a goer - I am Commercial Officer with MOD providing services for the RN and RM - there is a shortage of Service Chefs at the moment which requires me to provide Contract cover for the gaps!!

The particular OU module Signals referred to was War, Peace and Social Change: Europe 1900 - 1955. It is (was) an excellent course but covers the wider aspects as the title suggests. It is not a military history course however.

Terry Reeves