Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What badge is this? Puzzling

Chris_Baker

post-1-0-31339300-1351175643_thumb.jpg

The man shown is known to have served with the 23rd (Works) Battalion of the King's (Liverpool Regiment) before being transferred to the Labour Corps ... but what is his badge? Monmouthshire?

Wings, tail, protruding front foot, looks like Monmouthshire Regiment to me, Chris...

James

2nd Battalion?

I do agree it looks to be the 2nd battalion.

Camouflage School?

• 6 months later...

Definitely Monmouthshire Regiment but impossible to tell battalion from the cap badge as they all wore the same.

Martyn

Yes only the officers seem to have worn different badges for different battalions. The men all wore the standardised Welsh Dragon badge.

Certainly looks to be Mons regiment. Some argue that the 1st battalion wore a different badge to the 2nd battalion but I think most do not agree with that.

Chris,

I have a number of men of the 9th King's Liverpool Regt on my database who transferred to the Monmouthshire Regt. They seem to have in common that they were all wounded in 1915.

It seems that almost half of these men were subsequently posted to other units. Most were given Monmouthshire TF numbers in the series 227***

The only specific date of transfer to the Monmouths that I have is 23/11/16.

I appreciate this could be a red herring but I thought it worth throwing in for consideration.

Ken

If you run dry on the Monmouthshires' (which is the badge I believe it to be) you might just try the Brecknockshire Battalions of the SWB.

Their Rugby badge was identical to the Mnths (I have a collection of this for 1919 but not the 1918 team that won the Calcutta Cup - unfortunately) in that it had no scroll underneath.

Off the wall idea, but if you're stuck, you're stuck.

Tim

If you run dry on the Monmouthshires' (which is the badge I believe it to be) you might just try the Brecknockshire Battalions of the SWB.

Their Rugby badge was identical to the Mnths (I have a collection of this for 1919 but not the 1918 team that won the Calcutta Cup - unfortunately) in that it had no scroll underneath.

Off the wall idea, but if you're stuck, you're stuck.

Tim

I seem to recall that the Brecknockshire battalion badge had a quite distinctive title scroll beneath the dragon on field, that is clearly absent from the OP's photo.

I seem to recall that the Brecknockshire battalion badge had a quite distinctive title scroll beneath the dragon on field, that is clearly absent from the OP's photo.

Full agreement Frogsmile.

I was making comment about their Rugby Badge (somewhere, someday a book about forces sporting insignia is begging) where the scroll is absent.

I did say it was 'off the wall' and was only intended as a viable suggestion should Chris' investigations run dry.

Tim

Full agreement Frogsmile.

I was making comment about their Rugby Badge (somewhere, someday a book about forces sporting insignia is begging) where the scroll is absent.

I did say it was 'off the wall' and was only intended as a viable suggestion should Chris' investigations run dry.

Tim

I really am not trying to be obtuse Tim, but I don't understand what a 'rugby badge' has to do with the initial poster's inquiry. Have I missed a change of tack?

At risk of repeating what others have observed, to my eyes this can only be the Monmouthshire Regiment due to the lack of a scroll. The only other long shot contenders are the Brecknockshire Bn of the SWB and the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry badges which both had distinctive scrolls. On the OP picture it is clear that there is no scroll as the badge is fixed over the top of the chinstrap. MG.

As far as I know, ORs of the 1st Bn had a badge in WM, the 2nd Bn in GM - so, yes, difficult to tell in a B&W phoptograph.

I really am not trying to be obtuse Tim, but I don't understand what a 'rugby badge' has to do with the initial poster's inquiry. Have I missed a change of tack?

Not obtuse at all..

I was making the point that in the event of Chris hitting a dead end with the Monmouths (which I clearly stated I that think the cap badge is) then I've photographs of the Brecknocks Rugby patch/badge that is without the scroll.

Tim

post-53823-0-47737300-1368131615_thumb.j

Perhaps some images will get more firmly to the point.

post-599-0-69873500-1368142089_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-30622300-1368142126_thumb.jpg

Here is my Mons cap badge.

post-91897-0-29113800-1368183525_thumb.j

In the uncropped version of the photo are there other men in uniform? Could it perhaps be that a mate or relative in the Monmouths swapped caps with him for this photo?